Spoonman's new 120 reef build thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My plans are pretty well set. I have a 75 and a 29 right now that will be consolidated into the 120. In the 75, I have a pair of black saddleback clowns, melanarus wrasse, chromis, tomini tang, coral beauty and a Mandarin. In the 29, I have a single ocellaris clown and a cherub angel. I think I am taking the ocellaris back to the lfs and the rest will go in this 120. All of the corals in the 75 will go in the 120 also. The only thing i am worried about is the cherub angel getting along with the coral beauty. I am only thinking of adding some yellow. Possibly a foxface or yellow tang. Opinions?

BTW, just tested and have 4ppm ammonia and .25 NitrIte. I only have marcos dry rock and a couple of pieces of live rock that were dried out from another tank. A little surprised to see NitrIte after only 3 days!

When this is done I will be down to 1 240 gallon freshwater tank and 1 120 gallon saltwater tank. My wife will be so happy! She can have some wall space back!

I would love the yellow tang. Another option is a Chrysus wrasse. They are very yellow. I'm not sure if your melanarus would like him, but I think they would have plenty of room. Also not sure if the 2 angels would get along.

Do you think I have room for a shrimp/gobie combo in there too? I am worried about the same things you mention. I may just bring both the cherub angel and the ocellarus to the lfs. I am thinking the yellow tang would be a better choice, since it is so different from the tomini, but then again so are the melanarus and the chrysus. Gonna have to think on this one..... Would love some opinions!

The key is to adding two angels is to add them at the same time. My live fish store has two dwarfs in their main display along with their rarer coral an such. Give them ample hiding spots, feed plenty, add at the same time so neither has time to set up a territory

They definitely would go in at the same time. I plan on acclimating all fish at the same time, then introducing all together. I have also set up the scape to have lots of places to hide, just for that reason. Was also going to buy either the foxface, yellow tang or chrysus wrasse as that is happening, so that they would be introduced at the same time too. Going to be a coordinated effort! Fish from 3 different places going into one place all at the same time.

I'm in favor of the yellow tangs cause this one time time, my brother an I were wondering around the Chattanooga aquarium, an they have this huge sting ray touch tank that also has serval different fish including tangs. This one kept swimming up to my brother who was picking off algae to feed it. It took it right from his hand, an later did the same thing for me. Sadly were not suppose to feed the tangs an they are "dangerous" an their in the touch tank? Fish with hidden switchblades do not need to be in the reach of children but still it was pretty awesome.

Anyway, I like your idea of adding most of your stock to the tank at one time. If you don't mind me asking a question, how are you going to keep everything from spiking?
I'd like to know as I'm upgrading my nano here in a couple of months an have a six line an they can be demons to any new inhabitants added after they established a territory an that plan sounds like it could work.

I will have the carbon/gfo reactor ready to go and also 80 gallons of saltwater ready to go for some big water changes if need be. Gonna definitely have to keep a close eye on things for the first few weeks.

I would go with foxface over another tang.
Just personal preference and eliminates bickering between tangs(the fall of many).
I would not add the second angel or the single clown.
The angels are pretty peaceful but the visual similarity makes me think of conspecific fighting.
Clowns can be just down right mean if they want.

Sometimes the shake up an additions timming works out.
I always think(now after many slips) how easy will it be to get him out?

Very good points! I will probably go with the foxface just to avoid any issues. My LFS will take the single clown and the angel and give me credit for corals...etc.

Rails for the LEDs

Built my rails to support the LEDs. I think it turned out pretty good. About $10 worth of 2" angle and about 30 minutes of cutting and welding. Pictures in the tank are a test fit before painting. Painted with high performance engine paint.

And with a coat of paint!

Please excuse the dust on the lights, but I had to put them in there and try them out! Perfect!

Beautiful!!!!

Day 4 testing results!

So, I didn't expect much, but am pleasantly surprised.

2ppm ammonia - dosed back up to 4ppm
1ppm nitrIte
10ppm nitrAte

We are moving along!

Looks like those LED panels fit perfect! Can't wait for you to really get started! :)

Day 5

Ammonia - 2ppm, dosed back to 4ppm
NitrIte - 2ppm
NitrAte - 10ppm

Waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting. Gotta not test for a couple days....too frustrating!

Day 9 testing results

ammonia - 0ppm - dosed back to 4ppm
nitrite - .25ppm
nitrate - didn't test

Looks like the ammonia is going to 0 and the nitrite is headed the same way. I will test tomorrow and see if they both get to 0ppm and then test nitrate. I used almost all dry rock (marcosrock.com) and a couple pieces of dried out rock that used to be live. I am surprised at the cycle going pretty fast. Not to complain though. I am getting anxious to get this thing up and running.

Sometimes it goes that way. My last two tanks (90 gallon and 180 gallon) cycled in two weeks each.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Same results today. Processing 4ppm ammonia in 24 hours. Not quite there with the nitrite, but moving right along. Shouldn't be long now!

Day 28

So last night I had 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite and 160ppm Nitrate. Did a 75 gallon water change and have the nitrates down to about 80ppm. Gonna do another 75 gallon tonight and hopefully will be ready to transfer fish and corals soon (maybe one more big water change). I was thinking of doing corals one day and fish another. Which do you think I should do first? Fish or corals? Opinions please!

Back
Top Bottom