Spot on yellow tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally dont think you will see any signs of getting better in a QT. He needs to be in the big tank with plenty of swimming room before he gets better. Smaller tanks like QT`s serve a purpose but once things are OK they need to get back to the big tank. That`s when you`ll see the spot disapear and things get better. This is esp. true with tangs as smaller tanks will stunt the immune system. JMO

He is in a somewhat big QT (42 Hex. Gal) because my regular 20g QT is being occuiped by my 3 legged Red Ear Slider Turtle. Yep you read it right he only has 3 legs do not know what happened to the 4th found him out of my pond after last winter.

To be fair here, there is no outright cure for HLLE, just theories on what is compromising their conditioning to cause it; I personally see it as a social stress response, which is just compounded by associated contributing factors such as social status, territorial boundaries, food limitations, etc. I've pulled tangs from tanks with horrible HLLE and "cured" them in a QT (20g-90g) by themselves, only to release them back into their main system and eventually show signs of HLLE all over again. I've seen tangs have better conditioning in "bare" tanks with no live rock and fake decor just as I have in full blown reefs...there is no singular pinpoint cause.

no one is sure of the cause, but whatever the cause, one of the symptoms is the weakened immune system. strengthening the immune system through good diet and a healthy environment is the cure.

Back
Top Bottom