Stand out fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rose22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering what color fish to get that will really pop in a natural tank. The tank will have natural tan colored sand (not white but normal colored), broad leaf anubias, Lucky bamboo, driftwood, and a few pieces of rose quartz. I will be getting a single betta, so I really want him to stand out as he is the only fish in the tank. Thanks.

I was wondering what color fish to get that will really pop in a natural tank. The tank will have natural tan colored sand (not white but normal colored), broad leaf anubias, Lucky bamboo, driftwood, and a few pieces of rose quartz. I will be getting a single betta, so I really want him to stand out as he is the only fish in the tank. Thanks.

So your wanting another fish to go with your betta? If so, you may be out of luck because all bettas have different temperaments. How many gallons is this tank? If your betta will allow it and your tank is large enough, a school of neons could work or a few Cory catfish on the bottom. General rule of thumb with bettas is: they are usually species only fish. But some folks on here have had luck with them in community tanks.

Its a 3ish gallon tank I'm planning to set up at work and want to put a betta in there. I'm wondering what color betta to get. He will be the only fish in the tank. I really want him to stand out from the background.

Ok I get you know. I thought you were asking what color fish to get WITH a betta.
What I find when it comes to picking a betta is that you never know until you see 'the one'. You might have a certain color or type picked out but once you get to the store that all goes out the window. Also don't just pick a fish because of its color. You have to make sure you are getting a healthy betta. You want to avoid skinny Bettas with ratty fins. They will most likely all look really dull at the store. They are usually really stressed and it causes them to become washed out. Once in a stable environment they feel safe in their colors will start to develop.

Last edited:
My albino cherry barbs are a nice bright pink color and they really pop! They live with a purple betta, so the colors in the planted tank are really nice.

Reds pop really really well in a neutral green/tan tank. But, my last betta had a black head and it faded really smoothly into a royal blue/green body with goldish shimmer. He was very beautiful. Also check out some breeders and aquabid if your only getting one fish it might be worth it to splurge and buy one that hasn't been living in a tiny cup for who-knows how long. My LFS also keeps all of there bettas in the community tanks, which shows off there color well and let's consumers know that the water is at least changed more frequently then the fish in cups :) hope that helps.

The white or slightly pink/pearl ish bettas really stand out in a green tank. I have a platinum angelfish that POPS in my mostly planted large tank so I think a white betta would be pretty cool

Back
Top Bottom