Starfish: Good or bad idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melle_87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 12 gal tank with a baby cleaner shrimp, and a mating pair of baby fals percs. Everything has been growing and developing well, and I was considering getting a chocolate chip starfish to go in my tank. My LFS said that it would be fine, but I don't want to jump into anything that will just ruin me in the end. Any advice?

Also, I've heard that some starfish will just end up dying and rotting at the bottom of the tank in the sand. I have small rock. Will that bother the starfish if I do end up getting one?

They are pretty hardy but they are not reef safe.I`m talking about the CC star

CC stars get pretty big and require lots-O-food or they will find their own. A 12gal would be a bit cramped for one. JMHO.

Serpent stars(not the green ones) are much calmer than a starfish but I don't know if you could go in a 12 gallon, even though my was fine in my 20 gallon

A serpent star would be your best bet for that tank. He should cleanup left over food and things very well. Just make sure he has a dark ledge or something for a chill spot.

Back
Top Bottom