Started cycling new tank with fritz ammonia solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats a misunderstanding on whats going on. One thats often circulated.

The nitrogen cycle needs alkalinity. This has a different meaning to "a ph above 7" which would be better called basic rather than alkaline to avoid confusion with alkalinity. Alkalinity is a measure of some disolved solids in the water and is mostly made up of carbonate hardness (KH) and they are generally considered to be the same thing. The API KH test is actually a test for alkalinity for instance. There is a link in that water with low pH usually has low alkalinity, but acidic water will still have some.

Many people keep fish in low pH conditions, they cycle their tanks just fine. I wouldnt worry about a pH of 6.8.

One thing to be aware of is KH is what gives your water the ability to absorb acid, so the more KH you have the more stable your pH will be. If your pH drops a significant amount suddenly its a sign your KH/ alkalinity is low also, and the nitrogen cycle will no longer be able oxidise ammonia. If you test tomorrow and its dropped to low 6s you might want to investigate further the cause and possibly look at what your KH is. If you are worried about it though, get some crushed coral in a media bag or some cuttlefish bone and put it in your filter. This will be a steady source of calcium carbonate which will keep your general hardness (GH) and KH at a steady level and stabilise your pH.

The nitrogen cycle needs alkalinity. This has a different meaning to "a ph above 7" which would be better called basic rather than alkaline to avoid confusion with alkalinity. Alkalinity is a measure of some disolved solids in the water and is mostly made up of carbonate hardness (KH) and they are generally considered to be the same thing. The API KH test is actually a test for alkalinity for instance. There is a link in that water with low pH usually has low alkalinity, but acidic water will still have some.

Many people keep fish in low pH conditions, they cycle their tanks just fine. I wouldnt worry about a pH of 6.8.

One thing to be aware of is KH is what gives your water the ability to absorb acid, so the more KH you have the more stable your pH will be. If your pH drops a significant amount suddenly its a sign your KH/ alkalinity is low also, and the nitrogen cycle will no longer be able oxidise ammonia. If you test tomorrow and its dropped to low 6s you might want to investigate further the cause and possibly look at what your KH is. If you are worried about it though, get some crushed coral in a media bag or some cuttlefish bone and put it in your filter. This will be a steady source of calcium carbonate which will keep your general hardness (GH) and KH at a steady level and stabilise your pH.

Thanks for the detailed response and passing on your knowledge. Very much appreciated

Hello again Aiken. Ph dropped from over 7 to 6.4 so added some bicarbonate of soda 2 days ago which brought it up to to 7.6 (high pH test) where it stayed for 24hrs. Today however its dropped back to 6.8. The water changes I did had a minimal effect where in order to maintain a pH of 7 they would need to be done daily so obviously not a practical solution. Is bicarbonate of soda something you can dose every few days? Ammonia of 4ppm is consumed daily where I'm not seeing any real movement on nitrates which are continually high but on the api chart and the nitrate solution is almost a dark copper. On Ali chart it most resembles the 5ppm but darker. Thanks again

pH of 6.8 is fine. Thats where it wants to be and its fine at that level.

You dont need to be dosing 4ppm ammonia. Thats too much. Dose 2ppm. As suggested do a water change if nitrite gets above readable level and then dose ammonia. When you can do that and see zero ammonia and nitrite 24 hours later you are cycled.

You've only been doing this for 3 weeks. You probably have another 3 or 4 weeks to go. Maybe longer.

You dont need to be dosing 4ppm ammonia. Thats too much. Dose 2ppm. As suggested do a water change if nitrite gets above readable level and then dose ammonia. When you can do that and see zero ammonia and nitrite 24 hours later you are cycled.

You've only been doing this for 3 weeks. You probably have another 3 or 4 weeks to go. Maybe longer.

Thanks again

Me again :oops: ph has been stable since the last time. Am. Drops to zero with 2ppm dose but nitrites and nitrates are constant. I tried the nitrate solution with a smaller long established tank and it reactes as one would expect. However with the cycling tank when I add the first bottle it turns a brown colour that remains constant even after adding 2 nd bottle with instructions followed. Sorry but any insight? Not finding much online

Ive found a few mentions of this happening when nitrate is off the charts high. Including this thread.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/nitrate-test-oddity-130418.html

If you have been daily dosing 4ppm ammonia since the begining of the month (im not saying you have, but just speculating), then you would have over 300ppm nitrate by now. I know we have discussed water changes during a fishless cycle briefly, but did you do one? Maybe take some water from your tank, dilute it down say 1 part tank water to 3 parts tap water and repeat the test, see if that produces a readable test and multiply up by 4x.

Ive found a few mentions of this happening when nitrate is off the charts high. Including this thread.

If you have been daily dosing 4ppm ammonia since the begining of the month (im not saying you have, but just speculating), then you would have over 300ppm nitrate by now. I know we have discussed water changes during a fishless cycle briefly, but did you do one? Maybe take some water from your tank, dilute it down say 1 part tank water to 3 parts tap water and repeat the test, see if that produces a readable test and multiply up by 4x.

Went ahead with a large wc. I'd say 60%. Nearly there. Will retest after an hour of filter running

After change still the copper brown colour with nitrate and high nitrite still high. Having diluted the sample with tap water it's still what I would call orange as opposed to red. I also foolishly redosed ammo back up to 2ppm after change. Would you recommend a good few wc aiken?

But diluting it down did get a readable result. So it does seem that the issue with the test is down to high nitrate.

The high nitrate doesnt seem to be affecting anything. Your cycle is progressing. I would leave it for today, make sure the ammonia cycles out the same over the next 24H, change some water again and redose.

But diluting it down did get a readable result. So it does seem that the issue with the test is down to high nitrate.

The high nitrate doesnt seem to be affecting anything. Your cycle is progressing. I would leave it for today, make sure the ammonia cycles out the same over the next 24H, change some water again and redose.

Thanks. Apparently the fish lab guide wasn't as comprehensive as I thought

Apparently I'm getting close to the end Aiken. Nitrites high yesterday so just dosed ammonia to 1ppm to see what would happen and low and behold blue in the test tube today. So redosed ammonia to 3/4ppm and will see what happens tomorrow. Thanks for all your help along the way its been invaluable.

Attachments

• 20220829_184016.jpg
    20220829_184016.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 23
29 days. Thats pretty good going. Almost to the day what your cycle guide said it should take.

Thanks again Aiken. Hopefully add the first batch this weekend.

Attachments

• 20220827_232835.jpg
    20220827_232835.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 18
29 days. Thats pretty good going. Almost to the day what your cycle guide said it should take.

Last fish added 10 days ago. All parameters reading what they should. Thanks again for your help

Attachments

• 20220926_190352.jpg
    20220926_190352.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 13
Looking good. What fish do you have?

Thanks
30 cardinal tetras
8 corydora juilii

Bit controversial but got 8 harlequin rasboras. Wanted to get a betta as a centrepiece. Hopefully the cardinals behave themselves

Back
Top Bottom