Started my fishless cycle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've thought about snails also but I'm not sure. I don't want them to over populate and I'm not quite sure which ones would be suitable

well our snails came as part of the plant package ;-)
unfortunatley they have spread like wild fire :-( Now I was up for getting some assassin snails in one or two, quite liked the dwarf frog idea also... but frogs dont really get on with small fish/shrimp as they can be a tasty snack for them and her indoors did not like the idea of these "poor" pond snails becoming food for other snails... so I think when I'm off shift next with a few days off I'll build a snail trap and get them out slowly and dump them in a bucket we have outside which is like a miniature pond with no fish in :) Just hope the shrimp keep out of the trap...

Lol....I understand about not wanting anyone to get eaten. Good luck, I hope the trap works for you!

FINALLY!!! I'm doing a huge happy dance! Just tested (35minutes early) and my results are: ammo 0, nitrites 0, nitrates getting closer 160ppm and Ph is 7.6!

I was hoping so!! I couldn't have done it without you though! Dose again right...how much?

I was hoping so!! I couldn't have done it without you though! Dose again right...how much?

You have been dosing to 2- lets keep it at 2 for another 2-3 days to make sure its steadily zeroing. If it is, then you can either gradually increase the amm to build more bb or you can stock conservatively to start & gradually increase amount of fish over a few wks. Your decision! Can I say YAY again?!!!!!! YAY!!!! :dance:

Nightstalker3188 said:
do the shrimp and cory catfish get on?
I had a friend of mine who had 2 angel fish and some guppies, he introduced 4 cherry shrimp and they, believe it or not, became an expensive snack for someone in his tank... they were only wee so my guess is that the angels might have gobbled them :(
As for the Tetras, yeah there are a few out there, I like the cardinals, glowlight(Tail) and the Black xrays (I think they are called that)... then I came accross the Hybrid Endlers guppies - full of colour... so we'll see what the daughter selects on Thursday...
I personally would like to get my hand on some Christal Cherry shrimp... but they seem as rare as rocking horse :zip:

I have 4 peppered corys 1 ghost shrimp and 2 assassin snails. The corys dont bother anything in the tank except for my plants. They keep up rooting my anachris. (Grrrr) As far as the shrimp those catfish couldnt catch it if they wanted to. That lil shrimp is quick to get out of thier way. My catfish are more concerned with scavenging my bedrock.

Same again today: ammo 0, nitrites 0, nitrates same as yesterday and Ph 7.6. I'll dose back up to 2ppm

If this keeps up till and including Thursday (which would be 4 straight days) do you think I could get some cories on Friday?

Yes, you can! We just need to verse you on the big water change needed to drop your nitrates as low as possible, make sure you skip the amm, lower your heater if its cranked up & make sure the water is properly conditioned & temp-matched when you add it. You can do this the night before so your tank is all set for friday! Check out the 'drip acclimation' videos on U-tube if your not familiar with the process. Almost forgot- pics are a must! :)

I'll skip the ammo Thursday, do a large wc to get nitrates below 20 (correct?) And set the temp. What should i buy to feed them? I'm planning on tetras in the future so if you can suggest a GOOD brand and special kind of food for them as well I may as well get everything then!

Back
Top Bottom