Started my fishless cycle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally at this point it might be the sand causing some issues. It probably contains too much heterotrophic bacteria which can compete with the nitrifying bacteria that the tank needs. Giving it as much food (ammonia) as we are, we're just causing them to multiply more and exacerbate the issue. We could wait it out a bit and see if anything happens though. Since your nitrites are high and ammonia isn't dropping I'd not dose for a couple of days and see if things can go to 0. If so, then we can maybe dose slowly and increase the dose incrementally and hope that the cycle can progress.

If not, you'd have two options:
1). Change substrate and continue with the fishless cycle and see if that wouuld help or
2) start adding fish slowly and opt for a fish-in cycle.

You're still about a month in, which isn't unreasonable, so if you have the patience and want to try some of the things above it could be worth experimenting and waiting it out and see if things can turn around.

I of course could be completely wrong but I've seen this before when some use the live sand and it's the only odd variable.

Here are a couple of articles that talk about heterotrophic bacteria:
Heterotrophic Bacteria and Their Practical Application in a Freshwater Aquarium
Auto vs Hetero Bacteria

Reactions: jlk
Thanks librarygirl! If I keep the substrate and slowly start adding fish will my tank cycle eventually? And will the substrate harm the fish? I still have plenty of patience but I think the family is anxious for fish :)

I've never used it myself but I know others on here have it and I haven't heard horror stories of fish dying lol. And it is aquarium stubstrate so no I don't think there would be a harm to the fish themselves. The tank should cycle eventually yes. I'd add fish very slowly though and check parameters daily and do water changes as needed if you see any ammonia or nitrite. What fish are you thinking of getting? And what size tank and what filter do you have again?

Its a 29gal with an aqua clear 50. Haven't totally decided on fish yet. Mostly a couple/few different tetras, maybe some male guppies and cries. I'd like to have red cherry shrimp also....

Ok, so that sounds good. You could start with the guppies, test daily for 2-3 weeks, once nitrite and ammonia stay at 0 on their own for a few days you could add a few tetras, wait and test, then repeat until the tank is stocked. It could take a while doing it slowly but it'll be easier on you and the fish that way.

Again, I could be wrong on the substrate thing, but it's my best guess at this point. Good luck in whatever you decide.

What would you advise jlk? Would the seeded filter help or would you just go with fish? I'm not sure what to do...

Librarygirl made a good point in respect to the sand & I honestly have no experience in respect using it & cycling. What I would be concerned about is the fact that if you are unable to fishless cycle due to the sand, I am wondering how it would be possible to fish-in cycle because its the same concept- ammonia from a bottle or ammonia from fish are the same thing-its still ammonia. I imagine you will encounter the same issues you are experiencing now but with fish in the tank.

I would have to agree that you should consider switching your substrate, then perhaps fish-in cycle with an active filter which would speed it along or almost instantly cycle your tank as long as you stock conservatively & take your time adding additional fish. I would give your tank another week before throwing in the towel & skip the ammonia as Librarygirl suggested to see if the present amm/nitrite drop. Ultimately, it will be up to you to decide on where you want to go from here. :)

I will give it another week cuz I'd have to hold off for awhile for new substrate cuz I don't have the extra for new. I really don't want to hang it up all together so I'll wait a bit longer. Thanks again :)

I'm continuing on for a couple more weeks! Today I have: ammo 1.0ppm, nitrites rosy pink, nitrates between 40-80ppm (definately rising since yesterday) and Ph 7.6. Getting ready to order a sponge filter from angels :)

Good for you for hanging in there! Hopefully a couple more weeks will make a difference. Let ammonia ride for another 24 hours and see if we can get it to fall to 0, then we can redose tomorrow.

Thanks librarygirl......I appreciate you and jlk sticking with me. I'll take any help I can get!

No problem. :) I had major problems fishless cyling my tank, took me 7 months and I couldn't have done it without the people on here. :)

Thats great that your nitrates are steadily increasing! Im glad your going to stick it out a bit longer & hopefully, the seeded filter will be the answer we are looking for! :)

This may be an incredibly dumb questin but I was wondering.....the last couple times I've done my water changes and refilled my tank I always filled it pretty much to the top. That left very little water agitation at the surface , would that have caused my ammonia to stop dropping??

Do you have an additional source of aeration (bubbler, airstone etc)? If not, just remove some water so the filters are splashing a bit. Adding an airstone or bubbler will also help. :)

Back
Top Bottom