Starting 60 gallon hex tank, any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

315fishguy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Staring a tall freshwater 60 gallon hex tank, looking for more interesting fish that like fast flow bc my water flow is ripping no matter how much I throttle it down. I kinda want peaceful and colorful, although not opposed to a species tank if the fish are oddball enough, maybe some figure 8 puffers?

Hillstream loaches!! Oh I love those guys too! They really like fast moving water.
Not sure how you would pull that off in a hexagon tank though? Unless you have power heads? The one issue I've found with my 46 hexagon is its foot print, it makes the choices very limited for fish. Yours is a 60 so maybe you'll have better luck. I looked at fish that were taller versus longer and species that occupied all the levels of the tank. Ex; bottom dwellers, mid swimmers/schooling fish and then thought about the "centre piece" fish. That would swim all levels.

+1 to the hillstream loaches
They are highly active and really interesting and beautiful.
Danios are definitely a good choice for fast moving water as they are very active and would enjoy current.
White Cloud Minnows are also an excellent choice.
I believe gold barbs could work, but I may be wrong. Most fast water fish are from cooler water. So it is advisable to keep the temp lower than 75, I think.

Hatchetfish possibly could work, but I may be wrong.

Oh I think Coryodoras like current also and they are often kept in cool water.

Gouramis and any other labyrinth i.e. Bettas,Gouramis and paradise fish come from still water that is on the HOT side, so they really wouldn't work for this tank.

Didn't see the hex in the title. My bad... That's what I get for answering a thread half asleep. Still a cool fish.

Back
Top Bottom