Starting a bigger aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToiletDuck

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Guys a friend of mine has a 55 gallon setup he isn't using. I figured I'd clean it up and put some sw in it :). I live close to the ocean. I'm always down there fishing and such. I was wondering if it is ok for me to maybe grab some of the sand and rocks from there and put them in the tank. Off the pier of our bayhouse we have so much shell reef and stuff that it would look really pretty in clean water. Is it possible or is there too much to worry about? Could I just grab water from the ocean and use that or better to stick with store made?
Duck

I'd be worried about pollutants that close to shore. Both in the sand and water.

I can't remember the thread here, but this topic was debated. I personally woudn't use beach sand as it may contail unwanted toxins, or chemicals. You may also introduce harmful bacteria as well. From what I understand, if you want "cleaner" sand, than you have to go out a bit further. It would seem logical to use the seawater as well, but I have also heard that you might have to do water changes more frequently, which would mean more seawater. I prefer synthetic as it has the necessary buffers for a healthy system.
For the price of sanitized optimal sand, I would go that route rather than chance it. Just my opinion.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom