Starting a cihlid tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaseMrNiceguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
His is my first post on aquarium advice and I have browsed the site before and am very impressed with the knowledge of the community so I decided to join. Enough with that though what I'm here for is I'm getting ready to start a cichlid tank and I have a few questions. I am buying a 55 gallon to start the aquarium. I'm wondering what is the best substrate to use in such an aquarium I'm looking for cichlids that are easier to care for as I have 3 smaller community tanks which aren't that difficult to maintain. So what types of cichlids are the easiest to take care of that will actually breed I just love the family interaction amongst these types of fish. Also I want live plants I'm thinking amazon sword, Anubis, and some other hardy plants as I know some species nibble on them also what are other types of fish I can put in the tank to add a little more excitement that won't get eaten. Any help anyone has is greatly appreciated I just want the best habitat for my fish to thrive.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
His is my first post on aquarium advice and I have browsed the site before and am very impressed with the knowledge of the community so I decided to join. Enough with that though what I'm here for is I'm getting ready to start a cichlid tank and I have a few questions. I am buying a 55 gallon to start the aquarium. I'm wondering what is the best substrate to use in such an aquarium I'm looking for cichlids that are easier to care for as I have 3 smaller community tanks which aren't that difficult to maintain. So what types of cichlids are the easiest to take care of that will actually breed I just love the family interaction amongst these types of fish. Also I want live plants I'm thinking amazon sword, Anubis, and some other hardy plants as I know some species nibble on them also what are other types of fish I can put in the tank to add a little more excitement that won't get eaten. Any help anyone has is greatly appreciated I just want the best habitat for my fish to thrive.

Welcome. What kind of Cichlids are you talking about? Africans? Africans breed pretty easily. Sand is the best way to go imo. They love to dig and spit mouthfuls of it. Mine have torn up all the plants I have added but anubias. Synodontis catfish can live with Africans. Figure out what kind of Cichlids you want. If you pic african, figure out which lake you want , then we can go from there.

Reecel64 said:
I love frontosia's
Pretty easy

Not in a 55 gallon, come on people of you are going to suggest fish make sure it is appropriate for their tanks.

If you can afford it go with a 75 or 90 gallon they are both 4' like the 55. Getting a larger tank will give you more stocking options as well as a little more margin for error with water chemistry.

I would start looking at pictures of different cichlids and take the top ones you like and ask on here if we think they would work for you.

Mogurako said:
Not in a 55 gallon, come on people of you are going to suggest fish make sure it is appropriate for their tanks.

If you can afford it go with a 75 or 90 gallon they are both 4' like the 55. Getting a larger tank will give you more stocking options as well as a little more margin for error with water chemistry.

I would start looking at pictures of different cichlids and take the top ones you like and ask on here if we think they would work for you.

+1. I go to davesfish.com and look at diff pics, click on the name. Just bc they are categorized so well. Kinda helps new people learn what's what.

Well yes I have a 55 gal and yes with Frons in it
But all my large fish was given to me from a friend no cost to me
I am looking for a larger tank for them
Without spending an arm and a leg
But I do know I will need a larger tank with 2 Frons, a rusty,1male midnight peacock 2 females, 1 convict and a blood parrot and a electric yellow lab
Like I said all was given to me

Reecel64 said:
But I do know I will need a larger tank with 2 Frons, a rusty,1male midnight peacock 2 females, 1 convict and a blood parrot and a electric yellow lab

So someone gave you all your fish and didn't plan it out and you're giving advice on how to stock a tank?! Seems a bit off to me.

Reecel64 said:

Wow. You need to think about rehoming some of those. That's just outrageous!!!

Mogurako said:
So someone gave you all your fish and didn't plan it out and you're giving advice on how to stock a tank?! Seems a bit off to me.

+1...I completely agree. Not to mention the OP stated that he has seen great advice on here, and he starts with that?! Lol.

**anyway, let us know what cichlids you like and we can help you out as best as we can :) And welcome!!

Who said I was giving advice
I just said I like Frons
Mine are pretty easy to take care of I guess is what I shoulda said
I have had this tank for about a year
Not completely new
I was just saying maybe I will just not say anything

Reecel64 said:
I just said I like Frons
Not completely new

We were all new at this at one point. The thing that I have learned about keeping Cichlids is that there are varying opinions, and several are in complete disagreement with each other. It can be very frustrating to learn all of the rules and best practices. The "truth" in this field is often somewhat relative, and folks are often eager to share their learning experiences, which may have worked out for them so far. My advice for the more seasoned folks in the field is to be gentle with people that are trying to give advice or share their experiences; don't discourage them from doing so. Once I used to be an active member of another Cichlid discussion group, and shared my experiences so far (at the time). A few folks jumped all over me regarding my post and basically made me feel stupid, which prompted me to quit the forum. There are ways to express disagreement or share different opinions politely. (Take a lesson from the Republican Candidates ;)

Welcome to the forum. Look at the sticky post on the top of this forum. It has links to some very good info. I wish it was a pre req to posting on here. My advice is to research as much as you can before buying. You will need a month to cycle a tank anyway. DONT BUY FISH WITHOUT CYCLING FIRST!. A 55 will be fine for some Africans. IMO you should start with yellow labs, maybe some zebras, demasoni, also make suitable tankmates. It really depends on your filtration and amount you would like to spend. Africans need overfiltration and prefer a sand substrate. The water parameters are specific to the lakes they come from. Good luck! If your want breeding to occur you will soon finding your self buying a bigger tank. Add cichlids and good water...you will soon have fry.

Jmedic25 said:
Welcome to the forum. Look at the sticky post on the top of this forum. It has links to some very good info. I wish it was a pre req to posting on here. My advice is to research as much as you can before buying. You will need a month to cycle a tank anyway. DONT BUY FISH WITHOUT CYCLING FIRST!. A 55 will be fine for some Africans. IMO you should start with yellow labs, maybe some zebras, demasoni, also make suitable tankmates. It really depends on your filtration and amount you would like to spend. Africans need overfiltration and prefer a sand substrate. The water parameters are specific to the lakes they come from. Good luck! If your want breeding to occur you will soon finding your self buying a bigger tank. Add cichlids and good water...you will soon have fry.

Good advice. Research as much as you can. Since you should take one month to cycle, that gives you plenty of time to ask plenty of questions. I also agree with the Yellow Labs recommendation (I don't have experience with the others, so I can't agree or disagree).

Reecel64 said:
I just said I like Frons
Not completely new

Please forgive me, but if you were making a "statement", why did you post it on his thread when he was clearly asking adivce on what type of cichlids to get? Maybe you meant to post that elsewhere?

I also wanted to add that my no means are the Yellow Labidochromis a tame cichlid. If you want a tank full of peace and beauty get peacocks. Mbuna will be mbuna...I had to pull the smaller male lab out of my tank. The main yellow male was in spawning mode and dang near killed the sub dom male. I chucked him in my sump...Hes happy in there...My wife talks to him and feeds him lol

Jmedic25 said:
I also wanted to add that my no means are the Yellow Labidochromis a tame cichlid. If you want a tank full of peace and beauty get peacocks. Mbuna will be mbuna...I had to pull the smaller male lab out of my tank. The main yellow male was in spawning mode and dang near killed the sub dom male. I chucked him in my sump...Hes happy in there...My wife talks to him and feeds him lol

Yeah, I have two Peacocks and they are more mellow than my Yellow Labs as well. I thought I was just lucky, in my case. I started long ago with just one Yellow Lab, and once I added a second one the latter was being harassed by the prior for some time. I have six now and they all get along just fine. I would add 3 or more if you plan to get any at all. They look better in numbers anyway.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I appreciate them very much. I don't have the space or the money for anything bigger than the 55 right now but I will upgrade as soon as I can. I am probably going with the African cichlids as they are pleasing to look at with the difference in colors. About the substrate I heard that crushes coral would help balance the ph is that true, and would it make a suitable substrate for the cichlids. Also I would like some opinion on blue led night led for the tank is it helpful or harmful or would it not matter. Like I mentioned before I would like some live plants I the tank and knowing that Anubis is decent in low light I'm probably just going to scatter some of that on some driftwood around the tank. Also would a Morimo ball or tow be ok to throw in there as well.

Not only are Africans pleasing to look at, their personalities are amazing

Don't do a moss ball, you will learn quickly after having to replace a filter that cichlids love the taste of them.

Back
Top Bottom