Starting a new 20 gal tank thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

picture_117

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well after a while with my small 10 gallon tank & my little guppies, I saw that petco had started their $1 per gallon sale so I went and got me a 20 gallon tall, the biggest I'll probably be able to get while I live with my parents. I filled up the tank and started the filter with the old cartridges and added a piece of my old driftwood. I added ammonia yesterday morning and I added more today it's at about 4ppm right now. I plan on making this a heavily planted Gourami tank, some blue and red fire ones. Until then I wait on the cycling :banghead: But it will turn out great! (y)

Thanks both of you!

Hmm well I was just thinking about keeping 4, but if I can only keep 2 can they be with other fish?

Hmm I was thinking some barbs..
Which kind? There are the peaceful-ish cherry and rosy barbs and then there are the semi-aggressive tiger barbs and a bunch more too!

Oh and I agree with the harelquins! I will get them... someday;)

Well I'm welcome to any suggestions! I'm not really knowledgeable in the fish compatibility section, just with the basic stuff.
Well what kind of fish do you like? Schooling? Single? Colorful? Etc... There are still so many options:) Any that you've seen that you like?

AquaKai said:
Which kind? There are the peaceful-ish cherry and rosy barbs and then there are the semi-aggressive tiger barbs and a bunch more too!

Oh and I agree with the harelquins! I will get them... someday;)

Haha me too! Someday........ :)

Well what kind of fish do you like? Schooling? Single? Colorful? Etc... There are still so many options:) Any that you've seen that you like?

Thanks for the replies! Well yeah I was thinking Cherry or Golden barbs, Tigers are to aggressive, and the Rasboras seem like a good fish too. I wanted a sort of main fish, the Gouramis, and then a school of fish. Which are compatible with the Gouramis and can be in that tank is what I need help with :)

btw, if it is even possible, can I have a shark or two in there? Rainbow sharks, red tail sharks, etc.

I think that maybe a smaller school of each of those fish, the rosy barbs with a school of 6, and then the harlequins or something like them in a school of 7-8 would be nice, and maybe then a small school of cories on the bottom too? Or otos? I think that may be over stocking it if you want 2 DG, but with one I think that it may be a good stock....

Redtails and rainbows need at least 50 gals. Not sure of any sharks that can go in a 20 gal.

1 or 2 Gouramis as a centerpiece and a schooling fish would be a great tank! Gouramis are supposedly peaceful so they should be OK with most fish, but any fish can have its own temperament. And there are different kinds (honey, sparkling, or dwarfs would be best in a 20 I think). This site has great info on fish (profile, tank size, etc); do some browsing and make a list of fish you like and then ask here. :D

Redtails and rainbows need at least 50 gals. Not sure of any sharks that can go in a 20 gal.

1 or 2 Gouramis as a centerpiece and a schooling fish would be a great tank! Gouramis are supposedly peaceful so they should be OK with most fish, but any fish can have its own temperament. And there are different kinds (honey, sparkling, or dwarfs would be best in a 20 I think). This site has great info on fish (profile, tank size, etc); do some browsing and make a list of fish you like and then ask here. :D

Yeah that's what I was thinking with the sharks. Well I was thinking 5 rosy barbs, the gouramis(blue & fired red), 3 otos, and is there anything else? some harlequin rasbora?

picture_117 said:
Yeah that's what I was thinking with the sharks. Well I was thinking 5 rosy barbs, the gouramis(blue & fired red), 3 otos, and is there anything else? some harlequin rasbora?

I think you're already stocked. I would try maybe a bigger school, the two DG centerpieces and then the otos after the tank has been established for awhile. JMO.

Yeah that sounds good.. about how many rosy barbs?

& today I did a PWC because my ammonia was a bit to high, it's at 5ppm now. Still no Nitrites.

My ammonia hasn't changed since the water change, I did another large water change today. Does it take this long for it to go down? It's still 5ppm. I haven't added any ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom