Starting an aquarium! HELP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanilla Coke Is Good

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I have been thinking of starting my first aquarium. I'm thinking somewhere around 10 gallons with maybe 1 or 2 fish, shrimp, and maybe some other creature.

So what is the general practice for setting up and what are all the materials needed?

I know I could probably look this up myself, but it will be better I think to ask people with aquariums.

Thanks

You should start by "looking it up" for starters. Also do searches on this site for beginning a tank.

Tank, 20 gallon or more filter, filter media, water conditioner, API master test kit and decor. You need to set the tank up with filter and decor with water and let it run until it is cycled. Ammonia should be 0, Nitrite should be 0, nitrate should be 20 or less before u put fish in. U can look up how to do a fish less cycle.

Thanks

Actually looking at tanks and I think I should probably get a 20-30 gallon.

EDIT:

Looked around a bit. Think I'm gonna pick up a starter tank for $70. Should be able to get everything for around $275.

Let us know once you have it set up and are cycling! We can help you determine when you can add fish and so on!

The general rule of 1" of fish per gal doesn't work

You should be able to tell at a later date how many fish to keep in the tank

The most common mistake people usually make (including myself) in the beginning is that they think its easier to take care of a smaller tank then it is a bigger tank. It's actually the other way around, the more water you got, the more forgiving it is when something goes wrong.
A good "starter" tank is a 29 gallon.
Then you want to choose your filter/ media. HOB (hang on back), canister, undergravel are most popular, or if you really want to customize it you can buy/build a sump. Again, in the beginning people tend to get intimidated by sumps but they can be real easy to set up. And it adds more water volume to your tank, big plus. Then you have to add media to your filter so the beneficial bacteria have something to live on. Most popular are bio balls and ceramic rings. Bust most filters already come with media. Depending on what you want to stock you may or may not need a heater. Do your research before buying one, last thing you want is to turn your tank into a hot tub. And if you would like to add live plants to your tank you want a good lighting and substrate. Substrate could be just sand, that's what you most commonly see, but root tabs are highly recommended along with fert dosing.
Again, might sound like a lot, but you can make it as simple or as complicated as you'd like.
For salt water tanks its more or less the same thing, you just gotta do your research, and there's plenty of info here and all over the net. If you're a visual kinda guy/gal, YouTube has pretty much every question you might have covered.

Back
Top Bottom