Starting an aquarium maintenance business?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brennan32

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got thinking today what if i was to create my own aquarium cleaning service for my local area? It would be a private business. I am a 16 year old male and i would have my friend be my partner. I have a huge passion for fish and have had many tanks throughout the 5 years i have been keeping fish. I have pretty good knowledge about many fish and their care. So i guess I'm just wondering if anyone thinks that this is a good idea and could work?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like a good side job. Commercially though I'm sure age bars you as at 16 I'm sure your are in school quite a bit of time every week.

Caleb

Sounds like a good side job. Commercially though I'm sure age bars you as at 16 I'm sure your are in school quite a bit of time every week.

Caleb

We'll I'm actually homeschooled so that gives me a lot more time for things. But i also have basketball so I probably wouldn't start it till after basketball. Or just do it on the weekends. Oh and my friend is homeschooled as well.

Do you have reliable transportation?

I would have photos available of your tanks to show potential customers. Also photograph customers tanks once you're established.

Clients would want to know that you're committed long term.

Most folks doing this sort of work are bonded and insured, not sure if they do that at your age.

Do you have reliable transportation?

I would have photos available of your tanks to show potential customers. Also photograph customers tanks once you're established.

Clients would want to know that you're committed long term.

Most folks doing this sort of work are bonded and insured, not sure if they do that at your age.

Yeah my mom/dad grandma/grandpa aunts/uncles would have no problem driving me places. But thats a good point about the insurance and pictures. If i made like a contract up or something and had people sign it then would i not need the insurance ?

A contract would really be about the work that you promise to do and what the customer is promising to pay you.

Clients want to know who is coming into their house or business. I know a lot of pet sitting companies actually do background checks. Clients want to know who is responsible if you break something in their home; they want to know that you aren't going to sue for tripping on something in the house and breaking your leg. Things like that.

Do you have friends or family with tanks that you could do maintenance on? Again, take pics of the work and also keep a log.

That is a great idea for a side job. It can turn into something full time as you get older. You definitely need insurance. Not only do you have to worry about getting blamed for fish that may die even if it wasn't your fault. You have to worry about possibly the accidental spill on priceless carpet or scratching wood floor. Or accidentally knocking over the heirloom vase someone's great Aunt Edna left them.

Being 16 you will need people to trust you to know what you are doing. Start a portfolio and figure out a way to get your foot in the door. offer free service for a doctors office or nursing home to start. Just so you have a book of business that you can show people.

Also get a van or truck as soon as possible relying on mom to drive will not only drive mom nuts after a while but also people wont take you seriously but I say go for it. get started and see what happens nothing to loose.

All good points guys i will have to look into some things. So i might as well try and see also my mom is a nurse and is going to ask her boss if they want a tank in the waiting room and then see if i could set it up

Hi. You could start in a smaller way by offering to look after tanks while the owners are away. Again, starting with friends and family is a good way of proving yourselves and getting the word around. Once a client is happy with these short term commitments it might be easier for them to have faith in a longer term service.
Most businesses start with a small idea that grows with time. Good luck if you push on with this plan.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

Also do the some homework in your area and check for other similar businesses. You could even ask them for advice. Since you are younger they may be willing to give you tips and ideas. Always be on the look out for ideas that you can 'steal' and improve on. Even starting at an established firm (if there are any) may give you a starting place to learn the trade.

Expanding on rivers comments, look in to safety first. Know what things need to be put down on what surfaces and pride your portfolio on professional, safe working. Think about cross contamination if you use your own gear. What scrubbers to use on what material. You will probably find most people who require such services run marine aquariums so if you are not salty you need to brush up on that side of the hobby too or face losing some of the market.

Hey man, It's a **** good idea. It really is however, don't take this the wrong way. I am just trying to give you something to think about. Do you really think that many people are going to trust a 16 year old to take care of something that is really not that difficult to mess up. I am not in any way saying you are irresponsible nor am I saying you can not do it. For all I know you are better than the current places who do this stuff toady. I am just giving you something to think about. The other thing, as some people said, insurance. Who is going to be responsible if something goes wrong. $$$$ The one thing a customer is going to want to know is who is going to cover his losses if its your fault. I had a buddy who bought a sting ray for a 500 gallon tank. The ray cost him 2,500 dollars. Would you have enough to even cover the cost of just the ray if you screwed up that tank and made it sick or killed it. The last thing is if you do not have your own transportation that's going to look very unprofessional. I did start a business when I was your age. Believe it or not. I worked it until I was 21 and joined the military. If you would like to hear about how I started and got my clients I can give you ideas. What I started doing and what I ended up doing wasn't even remotely related.

It sounds good on paper but it's really not feasible. People tend to cast wrongful blame on paid services from time to time. Think about the types of tanks/owners you'd be dealing with.. may hear a... "I don't care just make my guests/patients love it"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey man, It's a **** good idea. It really is however, don't take this the wrong way. I am just trying to give you something to think about. Do you really think that many people are going to trust a 16 year old to take care of something that is really not that difficult to mess up. I am not in any way saying you are irresponsible nor am I saying you can not do it. For all I know you are better than the current places who do this stuff toady. I am just giving you something to think about. The other thing, as some people said, insurance. Who is going to be responsible if something goes wrong. $$$$ The one thing a customer is going to want to know is who is going to cover his losses if its your fault. I had a buddy who bought a sting ray for a 500 gallon tank. The ray cost him 2,500 dollars. Would you have enough to even cover the cost of just the ray if you screwed up that tank and made it sick or killed it. The last thing is if you do not have your own transportation that's going to look very unprofessional. I did start a business when I was your age. Believe it or not. I worked it until I was 21 and joined the military. If you would like to hear about how I started and got my clients I can give you ideas. What I started doing and what I ended up doing wasn't even remotely related.

I understand what your saying thats why i came here to ask people. I recently got a 155 gallon saltwater aquarium that am i buying some fish here and there but i just wanted to have some money to maybe pay for my electricity usage as well as fund my other tanks. And i figured since i love fish and know a bunch about them why not try and make a business or something

My very first business I set up at 14 years old was a yard care service. I actually started by going door to door in my neighborhood. I started out with 10 yards and in a two block radius. After two seasons of mowing at 16 I got a little cheapo truck and asked my customers if they could put my name out there so I could get some more business. My dad put my name out and what I was doing at his work and that's when I got a flood of business. I was mowing yards every day after school, and until dark on weekends. Now this is where the business I created takes the wild turn. I am a very big car nut. I love classics. I know how to work on them, no how to make more power, can trouble shoot, all that good mess. Well one day I was mowing this guys yard. He was a pretty well off individual. He was restoring 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T. I heard him messing with the vehicle as I was finishing up trimming around the drive way and I told him I could help him if he needed it. Of course he accepted and asked me what I knew about old cars. Well I showed him and he asked me to start helping on my spare time. I did, next thing you know I get a phone call from him. Hey, so and so is having a problem with their vehicle, would you like to check it out. That was it, I knew I was in business. Before I knew it and my parents knew it, I was making about a grand a week just working on cars in my spare time.
The point of my whole story is that if you want to get into that kind of business at a young age, you need to start getting clients by offering services that have very little risk of damage. Show them you can do a **** good job, and strike up a conversation with them. If you see someone who has a big fish tank for example, tell him you have one, and kind of give an idea you know what your talking about. Share experience with them, maybe offer them a piece of advice to get them on the hook. (haha fish joke) Have a sales pitch that doesn't sound like a sales pitch. You got the ambition, just need to figure out how to achieve your goal.

My very first business I set up at 14 years old was a yard care service. I actually started by going door to door in my neighborhood. I started out with 10 yards and in a two block radius. After two seasons of mowing at 16 I got a little cheapo truck and asked my customers if they could put my name out there so I could get some more business. My dad put my name out and what I was doing at his work and that's when I got a flood of business. I was mowing yards every day after school, and until dark on weekends. Now this is where the business I created takes the wild turn. I am a very big car nut. I love classics. I know how to work on them, no how to make more power, can trouble shoot, all that good mess. Well one day I was mowing this guys yard. He was a pretty well off individual. He was restoring 1971 Dodge Challenger R/T. I heard him messing with the vehicle as I was finishing up trimming around the drive way and I told him I could help him if he needed it. Of course he accepted and asked me what I knew about old cars. Well I showed him and he asked me to start helping on my spare time. I did, next thing you know I get a phone call from him. Hey, so and so is having a problem with their vehicle, would you like to check it out. That was it, I knew I was in business. Before I knew it and my parents knew it, I was making about a grand a week just working on cars in my spare time.
The point of my whole story is that if you want to get into that kind of business at a young age, you need to start getting clients by offering services that have very little risk of damage. Show them you can do a **** good job, and strike up a conversation with them. If you see someone who has a big fish tank for example, tell him you have one, and kind of give an idea you know what your talking about. Share experience with them, maybe offer them a piece of advice to get them on the hook. (haha fish joke) Have a sales pitch that doesn't sound like a sales pitch. You got the ambition, just need to figure out how to achieve your goal.

I appreciate your time to write out all that. I think i just need to rethink some things and see what works for me lawn care wouldn't work to well for me as i would have to travel about 5 miles just to get to the nearest town which already has people mowing their lawns. So maybe i could just start breeding fish (discus maybe idk) my whole life since i was about 10 years old has been trying to think of a business to start to earn some cash. My dream is to be a marine biologist and have my own fish shop. Which if the fish maintenance idea would have worked i would have saved up my money and after sometime maybe open my own small store.

Breed apistos, rams and discus.. $$$$$$$$$

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Breeding fish to me would be a **** good idea. Personally what I would do is go to some local pet stores. Find out what is the most popular selling fish. Start breeding them. List them on craigslist, make them cheaper than the competitors, and offer a better quality, for a lot lower price. If you can breed some 20 dollar a piece fish and sell them for 5 bucks a pop you will definitely start hurting some feelings and make some money. You are in an age of information, you got craigslist, face-book, and I am sure there are plenty more to get the idea out there. That's what I would do. On top of that you will appeal to many beginners especially if you offer good advice and really cheap starter. Just make sure you undercut the competition. Also selling live plants for tanks a lot cheaper than pet stores will help out a lot to.

I agree with breeding > maintenance. In fact I'm starting to breed rams and angelfish hoping to get into the aquaculture industry that way, and I'm still studying marine science at school so my dream is very similar to yours.

But with fish breeding you aren't limited by your location because you can mail fish. You can also target more hardcore hobbyists, whereas the people who are paying you to take care of your fish are almost guaranteed not going to be the kind of people who deeply care about fish or the aquarium hobby. Neither is a sure shot but I'm personally throwing my own hat into the breeding ring.

Well honestly one of my lfs says livebearers are their best sellers. Which i am breeding guppies right now. But that isn't really going to make me any money i know. With that being said angels are really popular so maybe i should learn how to breed them

Well honestly one of my lfs says livebearers are their best sellers. Which i am breeding guppies right now. But that isn't really going to make me any money i know. With that being said angels are really popular so maybe i should learn how to breed them

Not always about making money. Aquaculture for food and aquariums is a hugely growing industry. I can tell you from experience- if you can breed stuff like angelfish or ram cichlids or discus, you are WAY better at aquaculture than most of the people who are studying it at university.

Back
Top Bottom