Starting DIY 3D background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdpuffer

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I've been wanting to do this project for years and having recently got back into the hobby and suffering from MTS I just picked up a nice 55g. After having recently built a DIY dart frog vivarium background ("startup PDF vivarium" thread) I am confident and excited to start this build. I am shooting to build a background that has alot of depth and incorporates overhanging rock outcrops and caverns for hiding spots all while maintaining as much bottom surface area as possible and also concealing all my equipment. I planning this tank for my frontosa fry and some petricola catfish. I also want to throw some low maintenance plants in aswell to add some colour. I will update with pics as I progress and look forward to everyone's feedback.

Can't wait to see what you come up with! I am making one as well feel free to ask me any questions and I will share what I have learned. I have a thread in DIY 90 gallon build/rebuild.

I checked out your thread and it's looking awesome. What did you use to remove the film on the glass? I have a little bit of film around the top of my project tank and want something non toxic to try to remove it with. I do like the depth you have to your background, that's pretty much what I was trying visualize, Want to incorporate hiding spots/caves so I can keep the rest of the tank open with the exception of a few plants for colour. I'm gonna try to build mine by making one big thick chunk and carving the rocks out, I'm paranoid if I adhere the "rocks" they may break free over time. I'm gonna be going with concrete since I live in a small town that has very limited selection. As far as attaching everything I've only been able to find DAP 100% silicone for windows and doors, from what I've been able to find it's ok to use. As long as it's 100% and doesn't have mildew inhibitors it should be good right?

One solid piece of foam is allot simpler to work with and I kind of wish I had gone that route with mine, it just requires a little more planning on the lay out and how all the "rocks" fit together

After I got all my individual pieces attached and sealed they are really solid. I was worried about them breaking off initially but I think I am in the clear. Silicone will work just fine as long as it doesn't have the additives. Just make sure it's 100% silicone.

So I went into my local hardware store and they carry sika stuff so they are going to look into getting me some sikatop 107. So using it do I apply my concrete first then once it's cured but the sikatop on? Or can I just apply sikatop?

How many kits did you use? Your background should be close in size to mine. So I got all my materials short of my final coating and started my carving. I planned out my rocks and got them siliconed together so now I have to wait for it to cure so after work tomorrow I can make another big mess lol.

Well if yours is all one big piece one kit will probably do you just fine. I've used almost a whole kit and have only detail and touch up painting left.

So I've been busy since I got home and was carving up a storm. I got everything carved out and textured the main background piece so it doesn't look so flat. I'm happy with the result. Now waiting on word on if I can get sikatop 107 or not, if not then I get the joy of messing around with concrete which will occupy me till I retire lol.

Well my local hardware store is ordering some sikatop for me, only two weeks till it should be in grrrrrrr. Oh well two weeks to catch up on other things around the house. Gonna drive me nuts looking at my half finished background and empty tank but will be worth it.

@mogu
With the sikatop I just have to let it cure then its safe for starting to cycle for fish (once the background is applied and the silicone is cured of course) ?

kdpuffer said:
@mogu
With the sikatop I just have to let it cure then its safe for starting to cycle for fish (once the background is applied and the silicone is cured of course) ?

Once you have all your coats of sika let it cure for about 48 hours then hose it off knocking off any random stuff that is on it from working on it ,let it dry then silicone it in.

Cool that's what I had figured from reading your thread. Sika is gonna save me alot of time and effort. It's sucks I have to wait two weeks to get it in.

kdpuffer said:
Cool that's what I had figured from reading your thread. Sika is gonna save me alot of time and effort. It's sucks I have to wait two weeks to get it in.

Yea but it will give you time to perfect you background!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom