Starting first tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeffreyBowers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, starting a new FW 29 gallon tank. Will be my first, very excited. Reading up and learning a lot.

Aside from the tank ( filter heater substrate ect)I was wondering what else you guys keep on hand and in stock at home in regards to chemicals and such.

I was looking at getting seachem prime and stability. Are there any other products you would recommend to keep at home when starting a new tank.

Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey guys, starting a new FW 29 gallon tank. Will be my first, very excited. Reading up and learning a lot.

Aside from the tank ( filter heater substrate ect)I was wondering what else you guys keep on hand and in stock at home in regards to chemicals and such.

I was looking at getting seachem prime and stability. Are there any other products you would recommend to keep at home when starting a new tank.

Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Outside of plant stuff, here's what I use (which I presume you won't be needing):

Seachem prime: I use this as an "emergency" water conditioner. If I need to do a water change for some kind of problem I use this since it detoxes ammonia and replenishes slime coat.

Tetra Aquasafe: I buy a gigantic bottle of this and use it for regular water changes.

Prazipro: Fantastic medication, especially for internal parasites. I'm a little biased as my favorite group of fish is very susceptible to internal parasites. I tend to quarantine new fish and treat them with this and salt, because this medication is very easy on fish.

Table salt: A very solid general cure-all. Most freshwater pathogens can't handle salt concentrations as high as what freshwater fish can so it works on a huge range of problems.

API freshwater master test kit: Need to monitor your water quality, especially during the first few weeks.

Can't recommend stability; I can say it's not something you need.

My philosophy, and that of many users here, is that less is more when it comes to chemicals. Dechlorinator and basic general meds are what you really need. Stuff like chemicals that claim to cycle your tank or change your water chemistry either don't work or do more harm than good.

Congrats on your first tank! I can answer lots of questions :)

Back
Top Bottom