starting first tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themagpie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey how's it going. two weeks ago i decided to start up an aquarium. i've done some reading and im considering using the eclipse system 12 by marineland. is this a good selection? also im thinking about keeping some neon tetras and a silver hatchet fish. i read these two species were compatible. are either of these fish hard to manage or not a good idea for beginners? if not how many tetras should a school have in a 12 gallon. are there any fish you would suggest in place or along with my current selection (algae eating fish?)? a lot sites i've visited say that live plants are best for a tank. is this true? If so is there a specific kind of live plant that should be used with specific fish?

whew :wink:
i hope thats not too many questions
any answers or other suggestions would be strongly appreciated.

-magpie

Welcome to AA Magpie!

As much as I like the simplicity of the Eclipse systems, IMO their filtration is subpar compared to a hob or canister. If I were you I would just purchase a tank, filter, hood, and light seperate. In the long run it will be cheaper. We have a 29 gal Eclipse and are going to be puchasing a hob and hood/strip in the near future.

Neons are difficult to keep alive. Some people have great luck whereas others can not seem to keep them alive for more than a day. Hatchets are pretty cool fish, they mainly just sit on the top of the water. They can be fragile and require an established tank before introduction.

If you are interested in live plants, I'd say go for it! IMO they look much nicer than plastic or silk. If you are going to be purchasing the tank seperately (not as an Eclipse system), you will be able to upgrade your lighting in the beginning and not have to worry about altering the eclipse hood. Good low light plants are Anubias, Java Ferns, Anacharis, Hornwort, etc.

For bottom dwellers I'd stick with maybe some small cories like Pygmys or Pandas. Ottos are supposed to be great algae eaters. I've never kept them since we've never had an issue with it.

HTH

Fishy Fanatic beat me to the welcome!

Welcome to AA!

We have a twelve-step program for...wait, that's the other AA. I think that you will quickly wish that you had purchased something larger. Hatchets like a lot of swimming room, which, for them, means a lot of top surface. A 20 gallon long or a 29 would be a better option, and would allow you to keep more fish. This would also give you a lot more flexibility than with the eclipse system. The all-in-one seems nice until you realize that one problem makes the whole thing junk. You will want a filter that will turn over the water in your tank ten times per hour (ex 20 gallon tank, 200 gph). Aquaclear makes good filters with lots of flexibility. With hatchets you will need a hood with few open areas as they are notorious jumpers (they actually fly where as flying fish only glide). Acrylic tanks like the eclipse are more prone to scratching.

Live plants are more work but are very good for your tank. They use up a portion of the fish wastes, and provide a more natural environment. The plants that you would buy would depends largely on the amount of light that you have. One idea would be a lotus like Nymphaea zenkeri. The large floating leaves would provide some surface cover for the hatchets.

For algae control, try otocinclus cats. They are excellent for smaller tanks and have similar needs to neons and hatchets.

Definitely buy a test kit. The Aquarium Pharmaceuticals master freshwater tet kit is an AA favorite, but buy it online; it will be much cheaper. Check out the articles section of this site for info on cycling. Zebra Danios are the classic starter fish and will be much more forgiving as you go through your learning curve. Good Luck!

Welcome Magpie!!

I agree with the previous advice. Do yourself a favor and don't go with the built in the hood filtration. As for you selection, personally for some reason Tetras hate me :) I have great luck with anything else as long as they are compatible, but for some eson Tetras and I never have gotten along.

Try to do a "fishless" cycle, it's not quick but it is more humane. I personally just throw a jumboo prawn in a knee high nylon and let nature take it's course. If you have access to established filter media and or gravel so much the better. Welcome to AA!!!!

In regards to the water test kid. Go to Petsmart.com and print out the add they have for this kit. It is priced at $13.49 I believe. Take this to the store and they will price-match it. They charge over $27 in the store for some reason...so, you'd be saving more than half. Plus, it'd be cheaper than ordering online as you wouldn't have to worry about the shipping charges. I've had this kit and find it to be very good as others on AA have mentioned.

yep, another recomendation to skip the "kit" tanks and buy your filter seperate, and online. So, what did you decide? Bigger is better, just so long as you get one. Not having one because you can't afford or fit a big one is worse.

A word about neons, they are only good for well established tank. Not early on, when things are not stable. After going throush a dozen or so, I got some from a LFS that had a 100% survival rate. I don't think they sill many neons there, so the ones at this LFS seem to be survivors. I also acclimate the neons a lot slower and more gently than other fish.

Back
Top Bottom