Starting fish less cycle --need some help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matthew C.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am a novice and this is my first attempt as a home aquarium owner. I have a 30 gallon tank with an ehiem 2215 canister filter.
I recently, actually, 4 days ago, began a fish less cycle using Dr. Tims All in one kit.
Yesterday my water parameters were:
PH 6.8
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 40.0
I topped off the tank and I added some Seachem Prime to water to detoxify the chlorine.
I tested the water today, and now my parameters are:
PH. 6.8
Ammonia. 0.5
Nitrite 20.0
Nitrate. 40.0
What did I do?? Is it just a spike because it's cycling or did I screw things up with the Seachem?? Can you please help. I appreciate each and everyone's insight and advice.

Last edited:
I am a novice and this is my first attempt as a home aquarium owner. I have a 30 gallon tank with an ehiem 2215 canister filter.
I recently, actually, 4 days ago, began a fish less cycle using Dr. Tims All in one kit.
Yesterday my water parameters were:
PH 6.8
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 40.0
I topped off the tank and I added some Seachem Prime to water to detoxify the chlorine.
I tested the water today, and now my parameters are:
PH. 6.8
Ammonia. 0.5
Nitrite 20.0
Nitrate. 40.0
What did I do?? Is it just a spike because it's cycling or did I screw things up with the Seachem?? Can you please help. I appreciate each and everyone's insight and advice.
Hi Matthew:

No, the Prime didn't mess anything up; in fact, it's a good thing you used it because if your tap water has either chlorine or chloramine in it it would be harmful to the beneficial bacteria you're trying to establish.

The fact that you have nitrite and nitrate suggests the cycle is getting established. What are you using as your source of ammonia?

Thanks Yorg, I was beginning to think that I should use another forum since no one answered. (GUESS I AM IMPATIENT....LOL).
I am using Dr. Tims All in one for beneficial bacteria, and Dr. Tims Ammonium Chloride.

Thanks Yorg, I was beginning to think that I should use another forum since no one answered. (GUESS I AM IMPATIENT....LOL).
I am using Dr. Tims All in one for beneficial bacteria, and Dr. Tims Ammonium Chloride.[/QUOTE
:) It sounds to me like you're doing everything right. It might be a good idea to see if you could get the ammonia up around 1 ppm or so, and then see how quickly it drops. Your nitrite will start to drop soon, too (and your nitrate should go up as a result). Once your ammonia and nitrite stay consistently at zero a few hours after you dose the ammonia, you should have your cycle.

Please help!! Been found a fishless cycle for 1 week now. Ammonia 0.0 afterms dousing it to 4.0. Am I doing something wrong??

Attachments

• 1487688332800-1805911789.jpg
    1487688332800-1805911789.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 38
Help in fishless cycle

Please help!! Been doing a fishless cycle for 1 week now. Ammonia 0.0 after dousing it to 4.0 yesterday. Am I doing something wrong??

Attachments

• 1487688388229-1424100785.jpg
    1487688388229-1424100785.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Please help!! Been doing a fishless cycle for 1 week now. Ammonia 0.0 after dousing it to 4.0 yesterday. Am I doing something wrong??
Nothing wrong! Looks like your cycle is coming along nicely! It looks like you are in the nitrIte spike phase of the cycle. In my experience it takes at the very least three weeks to reliably get your ammonia and nitrIte down to zero. But zero ammonia is a good sign, no worries! The bottled bacteria may have helped a bit, I've heard good things about Doctor Tim's. Once you can get to zero ammonia and zero nitrItes a few hours after dosing to at least 3 ppm ammonia, you should be good to go, but like I said it should take at the very least another 2-3 weeks. Then you'll want to do several big partial water changes to get the nitrAtes below 20 ppm or less.

Thanks so very much. I am a worrier by nature so your response put me at ease. Have a great day and thank you again!!

Back
Top Bottom