starting FISHLESS CYCLE - have questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zelda

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read (and printed) The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling. It is sure very helpful. But of course I have questions.

The ammonia I have is the cloudy kind and on the label the active ingredients: ammonium hydroxide (cas 1336-21-6), and it contains NO phosphorus. Is that the correct stuff?

It's also mentioned to put in (or aim) for 4ppm. and then 1ppm. How in the world do you figure that out? I am really bad with anything that has to do with math:banghead:. If someone could send me how to figure that out I would be soooo happy:D. I have a 42 gallon bow front tank that I'm trying to set up.

I would be lost without these forums and stuff I read on here!! Thanks so much this is truly a great help!!

Hi and welcome to AA! My replies in blue:

I read (and printed) The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling. It is sure very helpful. But of course I have questions.

Great, that's why we're here! :D

The ammonia I have is the cloudy kind and on the label the active ingredients: ammonium hydroxide (cas 1336-21-6), and it contains NO phosphorus. Is that the correct stuff?

Hm, pure ammonia should be clear, I think, or at least mine is. What is the brand of ammonia? Does it say anything about surfactants, dyes or perfumes on the label? If you can tell us the brand that would help.

It's also mentioned to put in (or aim) for 4ppm. and then 1ppm. How in the world do you figure that out? I am really bad with anything that has to do with math:banghead:. If someone could send me how to figure that out I would be soooo happy:D. I have a 42 gallon bow front tank that I'm trying to set up.

Do you have the API Master Test kit? Here's an online ammonia calculator (scroll down to where it says "Fishless Cycle - Ammonia required); just put in the gallons of your aquarium, the PPM you want to shoot for (4) and the percentage of ammonia solution (should say on the bottle if it's 10% ammonium hydroxide, etc) and it will tell you the ML to add. You'll need a syringe though to measure. Or else just add a few drops at a time (I use a turkey baster) and after a half hour check the level. Keep doing this until you reach 4 and then write down the number of drops it took to get you there. Ammonia is potent stuff so a little goes a long way; it's best to add too little than too much and have to do a water change to get it down.

I would be lost without these forums and stuff I read on here!! Thanks so much this is truly a great help!!

No problem, good luck!

I would google the brand and see if others have used it for aquarium cycling. Also put some in a clear container and give it a really good shake. It should not have any foam after shaking.

ammonia

I went and got some different ammonia. It 's made by Rooto and it's clear.It's 10% . No phosphates, and it doesn't mention a thing about soaps or perfumes.

That ammonia calculator is AWESOME!!!!!:D Ya I have the API Master Test Kit too. I'm really trying not to get anxious about getting the tank up.:)

Most people as well as me got the Ace hardware kind, it's actually kinda hard to find ammonia with nothing added to it, but it sounds like you got the right stuff. Good luck with the cycling! :popcorn:

You can test your ammonia for surfactants by rubbing a drop between your fingers. "Surfactant" is a fancy way of saying "soap". If your ammonia feels slippery, then it probably has a surfactant in it. If it feels no more slippery than water then it is the right stuff for aquarium use.

(But a close exam of the label is the best way to go.)

Ammonia

Just something I want to pass on about the ammonia I bought.(ROOTO 10% Ultra). I just called the company that makes it and the lady who I talked to assured me it was just ammonia and water. Nothing else!!!!(y)

Back
Top Bottom