starting from scratch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Little Chief

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
Had tragedy after doing so much homework and asking a recommended fish store all the questions I knew to ask. Fairly minimal loss since we had just begun (of course it doesn't feel minimal -we were so relieved to have safely made it that far). I would like to try again, but I need a priority/schedule list. Current tank situation includes the presence of my 1st 10 lbs of live rock- no longer with us, cause not yet determined- and a rapidly evaporating water level. Should I test the water first, when I have probably 7 gallons evaporated of 75(unbelievable speed- no leak I can find)? Add premixed water and then test? Add distilled only then test? Basically, do I add the water first or test first, and which kind of water?

This was a built-in tank that came to us with the house, and I can't find a lid to help with the evaporation. I am not sure what I could use as a lid safely?

Also, I assume we are now starting from scratch? I will probably need to cycle the tank again, correct? What else am I not thinking of?

I know this is quite the broad/vaugue post, but I am trying to get my steps of sequence clear before I can hone in on the details of each step. I would feel better about following articles, but they don't help in prioitizing in this specific situation.

Thank you for all your help and advice.

1. What is in the tank?
Current tank situation includes the presence of my 1st 10 lbs of live rock- no longer with us, cause not yet determined-

Can you explain this in more detail, I am kind of confused. Do you have the LR?

rapidly evaporating water level.
What temp is the water?

do I add the water first or test first, and which kind of water?
I would say, test your water in your tank. The pre-mixed water, did you mix it or is it from the store?

Also, I assume we are now starting from scratch? I will probably need to cycle the tank again, correct?
Did everything die? What exactly happened? That will help us to understand better.

My 55 gal evaporates about .7-1 gallons a day which is fairly normal and I keep my tank at 80 degrees. A 75 gal tank will need to be topped off every other day or every 3 days on average and would evaporate anywhere from 2-6 gal during that time depending on temp, humidity, and lighting.

How long did it tank to evaporate the 7 gal? What kind of lighting do you have and how long are they on? What temp do you keep the tank?

As far as testing of the water if replacing evaporated water then only replace with ro/di, distilled, or dechorinated tap water. If you replace with pre-mixed (SW I assume) water then you raise the sg level since salt doesn’t evaporate.

You don’t want to put a lid on the tank since doing so can cause your ph to crash and it only helps minimally with evaporation.

Back
Top Bottom