Starting my FIRST saltwater tank!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jumping the gun is not the way you want to start , saltwater is a game of patients remember Rome was not built in a day . to properly cycle your tank you need to start with a good ammonia source , a deli shrimp is a good source for that ammonia , you will need a good test kit to follow your cycle , you want to see a ammonia level at the start of 4.0ppm , a cycle can take up to 4 to 6 weeks to achieve ,
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

ask questions learn all you need to before you move on to stock and coral . our main goal is for you to succeed not fail .

I can tell you stories of when I first started many years ago yes I'm old . I bought a 29g tank put rock and sand in filled with water and salt , the next day I spent hundreds of dollars on fish and coral . my first mistake was I didn't cycle , my second mistake was I overstocked my tank and it crashed , my third mistake I listened to that guy in the fish store , telling me you can add fish and coral he never once mentioned about any sort of cycle . all he cared about was the money he brought in for the store .

most mom and pop shops have a you walk out the store it's yours policy if it dies they are not liable ,

the moral of the story take your time do it right , rushing don't do nothing more than take the money you had just to fail . taking your time going slow will help you not only save money but allow your tank to grow slowly with little to no screw ups , giving you something to be proud of in the end .

Last edited:
I love that Coraline algae on your rock! It really makes that coral "pop". Keep testing your water. Be prepared to do water changes if the ammonia or nitrites start to spike. My dream is still to have a saltwater tank. One day I will have one... one day!

I love that Coraline algae on your rock! It really makes that coral "pop". Keep testing your water. Be prepared to do water changes if the ammonia or nitrites start to spike. My dream is still to have a saltwater tank. One day I will have one... one day!

Thanks for the advice! Hope you get one! This is my first one [emoji1360]

Time for an update!!
Did a water change, about 15-20%.
Got a coral banded shrimp and some more corals, as well as a mushroom! Take a look! Image1488663543.336249.jpg

Now, I do have one question, did my water test again:
pH- 8.0
Ammonia-0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate is between 0-5 (that's my question, is that okay?)

What kind of sock should we put the shimp in? Like nylon's or a sports sock? lol

my third mistake I listened to that guy in the fish store , telling me you can add fish and coral he never once mentioned about any sort of cycle . all he cared about was the money he brought in for the store

Sadly this still continues. I was in petsmart picking up filter supplies and the girl was telling this woman (with two 10ish year old children with her) just take the 30G tank home fill it up with water and add all the fish you want.

I talked to the lady after the sales woman walked away and told her why that was a bad thing. She left purchasing her items but no fish.

She placated the children by telling them that "Daddy will let you watch deadpool when we get home and we will buy some fish next for your birthday in April."

Back
Top Bottom