Starting Nanocube for a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SPARTAN VI

Aquarium Advice Regular
Need some *aquariumadvice* on what to purchase. :D

First of all, I would like to house a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish. How would they do in a 12gal JBJ Nanocube? Or 24gal?

A book I purchased recommends that each clownfish should have their own host anemone. I realize it's not absolutely necessary to have anemones, but I'd like my clownfish to live as they would in their natural environment. I'd also like to encourage breeding/spawning, if I'm lucky enough to purchase a couple that paired up anyway.

Shopping list:

Tank:

JBJ 24gal Nanocube

RO/DI Unit:

AquaFX Dolphin

Liverock:
Undecided. Recommendations?

Substrate:
Undecided. I'd like a dark substrate. If not, crushed coral?

Anenome:
Stoichactis Genus - don't know which yet.

Salt:

Water Testing:
Already have a API Master Reagent Kit for both FW/SW

Refractometer

Water Conditioner:
Ordered BioSpira for my FW tank. Is there a different solution for SW?

Water Changes:
25' Python

Appreciate the help!

Tank:
JBJ 24gal Nanocube
I have a noanocube 12 deluxe and I am very happy with the units. The 24gal would certainly be nice for a couple of percs. You may want to consider ditching all of the "biological" media (ceramic rings, sponges and bioballs) for LR rubble instead. I have filled up the compartments in the back of mine with LR rubble, it is a far superior media them what comes with the unit.

Sorry to say, the 2x36watts of CF lighting that comes with the unit is not enough to keep anemones. JBJ does offer the Viper clamp on MH lamp in a 70 or 150watt version which would be a much better choice if you plan on an anemone. That said, it is not recommend you add an anemone to a new tank. Most suggest waiting 6-9 months before adding one. They are very sensitive animals and require consistently high water parameters.
Liverock:
A must for any marine aquarium. 40-50lbs in the main and LR rubble in the filtration compartments should be a good goal.
Substrate:
Undecided. I'd like a dark substrate. If not, crushed coral?
Go with LS instead of CC. It requires less maintenance and, personally, I think it looks better.
Anenome:
Stoichactis Genus - don't know which yet.
Might want to table this one for now...until the tank is established and you have the proper amount of light to keep one.
Water Conditioner:
Ordered BioSpira for my FW tank. Is there a different solution for SW?
Don't waste your hard-earned money on this stuff. It really does nothing to prepare the tank for long-term habitan. You need to cycle the tank using a good old fishless cycle. The addition of enough cured LR and established substrate will help speed the process up much better then any quick cycle additive.
Salt:
there are many good brands out there. I use Coralife and like it. Oceanic and Kent are other popular brands.

Thank you so much Lando!

As long as it takes to get this thing perfect. With all this waiting, it helps me build up the necessary funds anyway. :)

As far as fishless cycling goes, I heard bits and pieces of acquiring a "clean up crew" during the cycling process. IIRC, these crews are comprised of shrimp among other things. Couldn't find much on this in the books I've purchased however.

The clean up crew is am important part to the tank because of their janitorial services. However, they should not be put in a atank that ha not cycled completely. These crews can consist of reffer hermit crabs, various snails, sea stars and shrimp. All of these inverts are very senetive to poor water parameters. It is best to wait until the tank has cycled completely before adding them.

lando said:
The clean up crew is am important part to the tank because of their janitorial services. However, they should not be put in a atank that ha not cycled completely. These crews can consist of reffer hermit crabs, various snails, sea stars and shrimp. All of these inverts are very senetive to poor water parameters. It is best to wait until the tank has cycled completely before adding them.

Awesome, exactly what I needed to know. Is there anything else you think I might've missed or want to add?

For instance, I made no mention of a protein skimmer, simply because I hear they're not really necessary in a nano environment.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. Really excited and looking forward to sharing my progress with everyone. :)

Sounds like a pretty good start. You are correct that skimmers are not realy needed in nanos simply because of the frequency of PWC that are required in these tanks. I will never not recommend a skimmer however. Looking forward to seeing the progress as well.

That will be a great unit for you. Good choice going with the 150watt MH lamp. You should be able to keep your pair of clowns very happy in there.

The fun begins tomorrow. I'm on vacation all next week too, perfect timing! :)

A coworker of mine owns the "tropicalfishoutlet.com" and is hooking me up with his supplier for discount prices.

He can get me the 24gal nanocube, the 150 watt Viper lamp, a chiller (guessing 1/6 HP), live rock, and live sand for just over $700. Big wad of cash from a college student, but I really want a nano reef! :)

Pictures will start coming in as soon as I get the goods.

Got my tank yesterday.

24 gallon Nanocube w/ 150-watt HQI lamp
img_820711_0_bdbae8862d7def703de8b404d820ef7c.jpg

HQI lamp/canopy:
img_820711_1_705725d203c14c4246916cd2ca197f6d.jpg

img_820711_2_99b4a269e2b92be12081c916123352f5.jpg

JBJ 1/20 HP chiller:
img_820711_3_b01930c091b1bb73199fbf08b9d55a7c.jpg

Fiji liverock:
img_820711_4_e6c99e113b14295475a81eb30adfb40c.jpg

Live sand:
img_820711_5_4460a6295611c1e768ac0bca86a6e5ad.jpg

Started setting things up today.

img_820711_6_c66a89b9f35eef98efb2c57e795079a0.jpg

Can anyone recommend a good pump for the chiller? I picked up some $30 pump at the LFS, but it barely trickled water into my chiller.

Hmmm, wonder if I should've hosed down the LR before placing it in the tank. Looks like there's mud all over the place (black chunks you see in the above picture).

Anyhow, this is my cloudy tank just a couple hours after adding water.

Not sure about the pump for the chiller...I am a fan of mag drive pumps for equipment. The set-up looks great! I would NOT have rinsed the LR either...the cloudy water should clear in a few days, it is completely normal. How are you planning to utilize the filtration compartments?

lando said:
Not sure about the pump for the chiller...I am a fan of mag drive pumps for equipment. The set-up looks great! I would NOT have rinsed the LR either...the cloudy water should clear in a few days, it is completely normal. How are you planning to utilize the filtration compartments?

Don't know what I'm going to do with the 3 compartments. Perhaps have the chiller intake on the 3rd compartment. Got any pointers?

They provide a nice place to hide a heater and run chmical filtration such as Chemi-Pure. Also, fill them up with LR rubble for added biofiltration

lando said:
They provide a nice place to hide a heater and run chmical filtration such as Chemi-Pure. Also, fill them up with LR rubble for added biofiltration

Cool. :)

With my upgraded light, is there such thing as having too much light for some corals?

Well, hit a brick wall when I found that my chiller was leaking. Got back from my vacation to find that I have brown algae all over the rock and back wall. Diatoms, I presume.. should I worry about them or just let them run their course?

It's normal to have diatoms in a newly setup tank, they will go away after the cycle is done and you put a cleanup crew in there and the tank stabilizes.

Looking good.

How much lr do you have so far? And make sure you test the water so you know how the cycle is going.

Lance M. said:
It's normal to have diatoms in a newly setup tank, they will go away after the cycle is done and you put a cleanup crew in there and the tank stabilizes.

Looking good.

How much lr do you have so far? And make sure you test the water so you know how the cycle is going.

I'm guessing somewhere between 20-30lb of LR. I ordered some more smaller pieces to stack up on those two hulking ones though.

Came home today and saw the diatoms/algae all over the place. Almost completely covered my LR and the back wall and starting to cover up the glass.

How do I know if I have diatoms vs. brown algae? Or are they the same?

Tons of growth on the rocks now. There's this green plant like thing growing on both rocks and even the substrate. Very small, sways with the current, and has distinct branches. Couple of slimey substances too. I have a vibrant green slime, transluscent brown and maroon slime. Also what looks like to be a plant sprouting from the back of one rock.

I've taken pictures, just need to upload them. :)

I've had the tank running for over 5 months now but haven't updated this thread. Here we are..

img_838775_0_6e0e75bbaf8e03dca10010415ffad622.jpg

img_838775_1_01b3e5f8a0c9b9182f131a3b258add3b.jpg

RBTA I just added:
img_838775_2_5f6df955c90e4ab1b164491e302b80aa.jpg

img_838775_3_e88db9c81525a4a83deac1a6c89a2995.jpg

img_838775_4_7332fc583581c5ab65e937aadc1e46bb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom