Starting new tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boscabo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I just set up my 120 and put sand in it (after I rinsed it).
Is 100lbs of sand enough?

I got a deal on a fluval fx6 so I went with that for a filter. Should I give it a few days before turning on the filter so it doesn't clog? It's not extremely cloudy at the moment...
Also is that filter going to be enough for two oscars? (they are still pretty small)or should I get another filter on top of that?
Thanks

The amount of sand depends on what you want. Are you planning on keeping plants?

Oscars are poop machines so I would recommend a second filter.

The amount of sand depends on what you want. Are you planning on keeping plants?

Oscars are poop machines so I would recommend a second filter.

Fx6 is fine. Rated for a 400 gallon tank. They are basically a 2' by 2' box of a filter...

To the OP: i used 75 pounds of sand in my 75 and it barely gave me an inch if coverage. Its enough for most, but with cichlids that dig it gets thinned out fast.

A point to note- Oscars will kick up a lot of sand when bigger. Make sure the filter inlet is a decent way above the sand or you will get a lot of sand in there. It can make some crazy bad noise.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Good grief the whole setup sounds terrible. Just send it all to me. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry. I didn't even read the whole post.

You should be ok turning on the filter, the suspended pieces are small.

As for 2 Oscars (in previous post i hadn't seen that) you may want to add a HOB for more movement. A strong HOB with an FX6 should be good. Mechanical filtration will be just as important as biological filtration, if not more, when it comes to Oscars. The poop a lot.

Good grief the whole setup sounds terrible. Just send it all to me. Thanks

Right?? I've only been saving for two years for this!!

Thanks everyone for the advice!
This is the first tank I've ever used sand in so I am not sure what to expect.
I was hoping to have plants but I'm not sure where to start so I may just go with some fake plants and rock (even though my current oscar likes to play fetch with my fake plants). So I was thinking if I ever DO add plants I would put them in a pot if that's possible with rock on top so they couldn't pull them out...I can't tell you how many fake plants my oscar has pulled out/destroyed.

Okay so a hang on back filter if I get the lingo. What type should I use would it be okay to get a smaller one than for a 100 gallon tank? Also any recommendations?

Haaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha oscars and plants XD Do give us pics of your wrecked house. Give them balls and nets to play with, it'll be less heartbreaking.

Right?? I've only been saving for two years for this!!

Thanks everyone for the advice!

This is the first tank I've ever used sand in so I am not sure what to expect.

I was hoping to have plants but I'm not sure where to start so I may just go with some fake plants and rock (even though my current oscar likes to play fetch with my fake plants). So I was thinking if I ever DO add plants I would put them in a pot if that's possible with rock on top so they couldn't pull them out...I can't tell you how many fake plants my oscar has pulled out/destroyed.

Okay so a hang on back filter if I get the lingo. What type should I use would it be okay to get a smaller one than for a 100 gallon tank? Also any recommendations?

HOB = Aquaclear. Don't look back.

Okay great thank you.

I am down to my last few questions.
I need to cycle my tank still. Would it help to put a filter that is on one of my other tanks on this tank? And add the plants and stuff that are in that tank to the new tank?
I have two goldfish 'left over' from cycling my 55 gallon tank would they make a difference adding it to the new tank or would they not matter at all? They are in my goldfish tank but my goldfish tank is currently over stocked since they lived.

Then last one: Would it be appropriate to get the aquaclear 70 instead of the 110 since I have such a large filter on it? The 70 is half price which is why I'm asking...
thanks!

Yes, a used filter for a couple weeks will help. Goldfish will provide a source of ammonia to keep the cycle going a bit until you get new fish.

The 70 should be fine.

The aqua clear 70 most likely will not fit over the rim on a 120. the 110 will.

70 didn't fit my 75 without mods to the tank rim (not reccomended) get the 110;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom