Starting out.....again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doza

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Had an unfortunate incident a few months ago while i was away. Had a friend feeding my 55 gallon tank for the week and when I came back, everything was dead. According to him, my anemone died a couple of days after I left. I'm guessing it poisoned the water and killed everything else because nobody removed it?

Anyway......

After grieving for a while, I've decided to start again. From scratch. Since I already have most of the equipment, it won't be as expensive this time around. I have the following:

55 Gallon Glass Aquarium
2 50 Watt Heaters
2 Powerheads (200 GPH each)
1 Seaclone 100 Protein Skimmer
1 Tetratec PF300 Filter
4 CF (2 x 10000 and 2 actinic)

The last time I had a terrible problem with algae. I couldn't keep it down at all. I had 40 lbs of live sand and 45 lbs of live rock in the tank. I was thinking about adding more of each this time. Maybe that would help?

Is there anything else that I should consider adding to this setup that might help me out? I'd like to start keeping some corals in there at some point. I'm thinking that I would have to upgrade the powerheads but that the lights should be fine. Should I add a sump, refugium, or canister filter?

Thanks!

were you using ro/di water? Do you have bio wheels on the filter? It probably was to much nutrients in the water causing the algea. More rock will help, if you can get to 80-90 lbs of rock you could loose the filter or use it for media like charcoal.

no, i was just using regular tap water. i thought that might cause some issues since i didn't have this problem when the tank was in DC. only when i moved to ny.

wasn't using bio wheels on the filter. i actually had the filter media removed and was using it just for water movement.

Back
Top Bottom