Starting out, still have lots of questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SignalSoldier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody, I've been doing lots of research the past few days from google to today reading all the stickies for newbies to the hobby.

Earlier this week I bought a small 5.5 gal aquarium, 10 gal power filter, and the conditioner and liquid test kit and everything else, except heater since I'm not housing tropical fish. Right now there's no fish in it, it's just been sitting running so for about 5 days now, growing some bulbs I bought.
I'm waiting until I get home to start the actual cycle process as I'm about to move.

Once the aquarium is properly cycled and stable, what type of fish would you recommend? I really like Neon Tetras, or maybe 2-3 larger fish. I want to be able to have quite a few live plants, like a mini ecosystem sort of with plants and fish instead of artificial plants. But I have no clue what types of plants would be good in a moderate to low light aquarium system.

And finally, one of my biggest questions is the filter media. I have read that replacing the filter media/cartridge is completely unnecessary at all, aside from a good rinse in removed tank water just to get rid of built up debris. The power filter that I have uses cartridges with carbon in them, and infront of that filter is a foam mesh. But I've also read that keeping a carbon based filter media and not replacing it can be dangerous as everything the carbon has captured can be released back into the water again? I've also read that the majority of the bacteria lives IN the carbon and on the filter media itself, and thus replacing it would rid the tank of most of its bacteria. What do you guys recommend as the correct way to filter the water while providing a medium for the bacteria to thrive on? Would the foam insert pre filter be enough?

I appreciate your help! Thank you!

-Jaime

Hello and welcome!

Honestly, there isn't much that can be effectively housed in a 5.5g much less a cold water.

Plants:
Hornwort
Water sprite
Wisteria
Java moss
Java Fern
Anubias species
Dwarf sag
Vallisneria
Crypt parva

all easily lower light options.

As per your filter, just give it a good rinse in tank water every once in a while. I clean mine monthly. Still have the same pads now as I did 6 months ago. Never needed to change filter media (bio balls, pot scrubbers, etc).

Carbon- some filter pads have carbon in them. Best advice is don't worry about it. The releasing back into the water thing is a myth. No reason to use carbon unless you need to remove medications or tannins from driftwood.

Caleb

Thank you for the clarification!

I might be able to go with a 10G, ill go back to the store and check them out but I don't have a whole lot of room which is why I went with something small, it'd be on my desk in my dorm next to me.

How about 2 male guppies and a snail?

Edit: Also, if I were to pick up a 10G what would be my options then?

Last edited:
You could even go with a betta for the 5.5G. But for the 10G, that opens up more options. dwarf gourami, any small tetra, Guppies, Zebra danios.

Alright, so I went and bought the 10gal and a heater also.

Good starter fish recommendations? I've been using aqadvisor and have some ideas but wouldn't mind any input from you guys!

You said you really like neons right? In a 10 gallon you can have a nice school of them since they are so small. I would think at least 15. Since you bought a heater they should do ok, but make sure to cycle your tank and use a dechlorinator like Prime.
Let us know what you decide.

You said you really like neons right? In a 10 gallon you can have a nice school of them since they are so small. I would think at least 15. Since you bought a heater they should do ok, but make sure to cycle your tank and use a dechlorinator like Prime.
Let us know what you decide.

I know neon tetras are small but don't you think 15 tetras in 10 gallons is a bit overkill? IMO I think 8-9 is the perfect amount. Make sure you do your research on them and cycle your tank first. Their real delicate to water parameters. I agree with using prime, it's my favorite product. Oh and make sure you add them a couple at one time as it can throw off your bio load balance if you add too many fish at once.

Thank you, Yes I love tetras and I've pretty much decided I want a nice school of those. 6-8 sounds about right, I would like to maybe have 1 or 2 Gourami's possibly?

What about a mystery snails or two? Would that be too much load for the filtration?

Thank you, Yes I love tetras and I've pretty much decided I want a nice school of those. 6-8 sounds about right, I would like to maybe have 1 or 2 Gourami's possibly?

What about a mystery snails or two? Would that be too much load for the filtration?

I've had that stock before, 6 neon tetras and a dwarf gourami (not a regular as they will get about 4-5"+). They do well together, just do your research on the two and make sure you fit the temperature needs. Make sure to only get one dwarf gourami because two (especially males) will fight over territory. A mystery snail should be fine. Good luck man!

Sounds good to me! 6 or 7 tetras, a dwarf gourami, and a mystery snail along with the plants.

I'll do the cycling when I get back home, I plan on going to a mom and pop let store and asking for some of thier filter media to start the seed and make the whole process faster.

I've another question, once I've got the plants in the system how do I perform the vacuuming without harming the plants?

Sounds good to me! 6 or 7 tetras, a dwarf gourami, and a mystery snail along with the plants.

I'll do the cycling when I get back home, I plan on going to a mom and pop let store and asking for some of thier filter media to start the seed and make the whole process faster.

I've another question, once I've got the plants in the system how do I perform the vacuuming without harming the plants?

Well if you have a lot of plants that it's almost impossible to vacuum without bumping into them or grabbing their roots then don't even do it. Simple as that. Just kind of lightly vacuum anything off the top and stir it a little. But I think your snail will provide movement in the substrate so you'll be fine.

Well if you have a lot of plants that it's almost impossible to vacuum without bumping into them or grabbing their roots then don't even do it. Simple as that. Just kind of lightly vacuum anything off the top and stir it a little. But I think your snail will provide movement in the substrate so you'll be fine.

Okay, I don't plan on having a heavily planted tank but somewhere in the middle, I was thinking thick planting on one side and tapering it off to a nice little cavern on the other side with no plants or something.

Right now I have 5 pounds of small crushed rocks, and 5 pounds of larger rocks. This should be fine for the substrate right?

Okay, I don't plan on having a heavily planted tank but somewhere in the middle, I was thinking thick planting on one side and tapering it off to a nice little cavern on the other side with no plants or something.

Right now I have 5 pounds of small crushed rocks, and 5 pounds of larger rocks. This should be fine for the substrate right?

That idea sounds really cool and I hope you share it with all of us when the project is done, I'd love to see how that turns out.

As for the substrate, I think what you're saying should be fine but tbh I would have to see it. Do you mind taking a picture? What plants do you have in mind of putting in? You may want to look into getting a planted tank substrate such as Eco-Complete or Flourite.

Rocks in general are hard to plant with. I've found difficulty planting foreground plants in floromax(another planted substrate) gravel.

Personally I'd just do sand and root tabs. Easiest to plant even the smallest plants and looks better than gravel any day IMO.

Caleb

Rocks in general are hard to plant with. I've found difficulty planting foreground plants in floromax(another planted substrate) gravel.

Personally I'd just do sand and root tabs. Easiest to plant even the smallest plants and looks better than gravel any day IMO.

Caleb

+1. Can't argue with that.

This us currently what I have, but after seeing lots of others aqauriums I really want some sort of sand, maybe I'll just get rid of half of what I have now and replace it with sand. I've seen that really dark looking stuff, is that just black sand of some sort?

Back
Top Bottom