Starved, fadded and broken fins betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alvean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello community,

i recently took under my wing a betta fish. I have watched it slowly dying and fading away and at some point i just couldn't stand it anymore.
I have a 5 gallon tank i think. that's the maximum. But it's a minimum a 3gal tank. I have a heater set on 75 degrees and no decorations what so ever. It's not that i don't want to give him a beautiful house but it's a hassle to clean and i don't want any bacteria to develop because i can't make sure it's properly clean.

I just got him from his tiny tank which was maximum 0.5 gal with decorations and stones

i do not know about the PH and such of the aquarium, and i don't know where to get such a kit. I do not live in a place where fishes are taken care off much.

I attached pics of the fish standing in the corner of the aquarium. I know it was fed flakes instead of pellets and its water was pretty cold. I made the transition over an hour. First warming up its water and then slowly changing the new tank water from the old one. Also they used tap water without any of those transparent crystals used. The fish seemed pretty happy at first. Swimming around and such but i can't get him to eat half a pellet at all. He just ignores the food.

Please i need help to give it back its life

Attachments

• IMG_9289.jpg
    IMG_9289.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_9290.jpg
    IMG_9290.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_9291.jpg
    IMG_9291.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_9292.jpg
    IMG_9292.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 244
Those are heart wrenching pictures. It looks like it will take a miracle for the little fish.

Do you have any, or can you get some aquarium salt? Kosher salt, some with nothing added like calcium chloride or iodine, you don't want anything in it just salt. If so, it is safe to dissolve 1/4 tsp per gallon into a cup of conditioned water and add it to his tank water, maybe in half and a few hours later the other half.

This looks beyond my experience level. I am hoping for an expert for you. Also it may feel better in a little warmer water maybe 78F.

Did you use water conditioner/dechlorinator?

What state or country are you in?

Hello,

i did use a dechlorinator, that's what i meant by the transparent crystals.

I'm hoping for a miracle.

i currently live in egypt, cairo :( I'll check on the salt i can find.

Attachments

• IMG_9293.jpg
    IMG_9293.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 131
As for his food, sometimes they are picky eaters and prefer what they are used to eating, so if you have the flakes he used to eat, I would try a tiny piece of one to see if he would eat it.

I'm not even sure he ate much of his flakes. Everytime i cleaned his tank there were many left overs at the bottom

I'm not even sure he ate much of his flakes. Everytime i cleaned his tank there were many left overs at the bottom

The flakes will cause ammonia, so just try a small particle right next to him. You won't have to worry as much. He may start to feel better with clean water and warm temperature.

So no fish or pet stores around for you?

there is a pet store beside me. I read that flakes would make a betta's fish blotten. I tried giving him a quarter pellet but he doesn't even look at hte floating food. I'll try again later after changing hte tank water.

also here is a video of him after 10-15 min in his new water. Right now he just floats around and makes circles ones in a while

My poor little toothless. Day one - YouTube

It's amazing that fish is responsive. I hope he can pull through.

The bare tank is great so you can remove any leftover food or poop as soon as you notice it. Use a turkey baster.

If you can't find a test for ammonia then you are probably going to be able to keep his water from gathering to much toxic ammonia with Daily water changes. No point risking a reaction to ammonia or a mini cycle until he shows some progress.

To oxygenate the water in his tank I would vigorously shake the new water you put in just before you add it.

If you can find one just use a bubbler or air stone, it serves the same purpose

As for food: you can try to soak his food in garlic, the flavor is supposed to make fish hungry

Pellets are better than flakes but feel free to pre-soak them in tank water and cut them in half with your nail. My fish makes a crunching noise eating his pellets so they are a big mouthful!

If you can, use frozen bloodworms meant for fish. Feed only one or two long worms no more. Feed 2 pellets to begin with and slowly feed more later on

to all of the people who sent me help. Thank you.

I will try the salt and garlic thing since it seems to be the easiest thing to do for me right now.

Ill also look into the bubbler even though my fish is stuck at the top of the tank

Good luck. I also recommend putting the Fish tank in a quiet location so he can feel as calm as possible

Remember too, that he has been in a tiny container, and would be a weak swimmer just because he couldn't really swim or get exercise before.

Due to his current ill condition it would even be harder on him.

It seems he is having swim bladder issues as well. If you have green peas, you could cook him one and see if he might eat a little bite sized bite of the soft inside of the round pea. Made from fresh or frozen peas.

Yes get him a pea, and put the piece close to him. He will need protein soon, so bloodworm is good. If you can not find that, the swimming larvae of the mosquito is good. but only a few at first he may be too weak to chase them..u can slow them down for him by putting them in real cold water, then feed to him. I wont lie, this fish is in bad shape, but u can pull him out with food and care. Do NOT put any airstone in just yet he is too weak, and it will blow him around... but for now keep his water clean. The salt will help alot with his fin problems. But first step is to get his swim bladder fixed with the pea...I also suspect they are some deficiencies in his diet....or he was used as a fighter and starved on purpose? hard to say. When he is stressed like this he MAY not eat, thats why I suggest the Larvae as live foods will stimulate his natural response to eat.

Hi, I would also suggest the pea if he will eat, but I find that even ill fish won't pass up blood worms. They prefer live or frozen, but my betta Zia will eat freeze dried as well. I would also get some aquarium rocks or sand, and get a few live plants. To me at least, it looks like he's getting over ammonia poisoning as well as swim bladder. The live plants will provide shelter for him(Zia LOVES sitting on the plants or weaving through them). They'll also help control algae and the water parameters.

Also, try placing a little pocket mirror in front of him. That way he can get some exercise slowly so he can build up some strength.
Good Luck
<3

Poor little guy. Good of you to at least try to save him. Here's my 2 cents for what its worth. Personally I would use Epsom salt instead of the Aq salt as it is for internal issues & if he has a swim bladder problem it'll help more. I would get a tall silk plant with leaves he can rest on close to the surface so he doesn't struggle to stay like he is or to get air or I would lower the water level, depending on the heater you have it could go horizontal low on the tank wall so the water level could be just above it & he wouldn't have to struggle to get to the surface, less stress on him. I would bump his water temp to 78-80F (27-28C). Bettas can go go days without eating & if he has a swim bladder issue fasting him is better. If you can get a good quality pellet, that's small in size, give him one, if he doesn't eat it its easily removed & if he does eat it great. I wouldn't feed more until he's consistently eating the one. I feed mine New Life Spectrum, I don't know if they're available where you are. Since its a small tank you'll want to do frequent water changes to keep the water healthy for him. I hope he pulls through.

Hello people.

as of today i am writting with tears in my eyes to say that Toothless passed away after the first water change.

I do not have the heart to throw it or anything.

I'm just so sad. I can't help but feel that i killed it and yet im glad it died because from what you told me, it was starved, poisoned and had a swim bladder.

I am so sorry. Sometimes we do all we can & they are just too sick to save. You did the best you could so don't be hard on yourself.

Hello people.

as of today i am writting with tears in my eyes to say that Toothless passed away after the first water change.

I do not have the heart to throw it or anything.

I'm just so sad. I can't help but feel that i killed it and yet im glad it died because from what you told me, it was starved, poisoned and had a swim bladder.

Do not take it so hard, my friend, sometimes we are given things we cannot handle or change. Rest assured, you did what you could, and it was noble. You did not kill him, but for a short time in his life he felt wanted and cared for and that changes everything in that short time. And it was a life lesson for all.. sometimes the smallest creatures make the biggest impacts in our lives. You did good and the little fish thanks you for it. I thank you for it, as well as many other fish lovers here. And please! Never give up! You will make a wonderful caretaker for some lucky betta in the future!

Thank you for your kindness. I went through the same experience last year with a Betta named Harris. Now I found this community of helpful aquarists and I have a new hobby and many happy fish.

Welcome and thanks Toothless, for bringing us a new friend. I am sorry for your loss, his story also made me cry.

Lila

I am sorry for your loss. He was a very unwell little guy. Some people do not understand that taking the decision to care for an animal, even a little fish is a personal responsibility.

You took the chance to see if you could help him, and in a way you did as his life was more comfortable at least for a short time that you had him.

And yes as Shooter said, you will make some other fish a great caretaker, and learning all you can, here and other places will give you first hand experiences to use yourself, if you choose.

Also since where you live, there aren't as many people who take as much time to care for the fish, in the future you can be caring to others, nicely sharing that there are better ways to take care of them to other people around you that it CAN be a fun thing to take care of the fish and you can show how beautiful the fish tanks can be in their home or office. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom