Still cycling my new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaseyCip22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've had my 5 gallon tank for about 6 weeks. I've been going through the adding ammonia, cycling it without fish. Today I tested the ammonia and it was pretty low, so I thought I'd start testing for nitrites. The nitirites were also very low. So I thought hey maybe there are some nitrates to test for. But nope. Nitrates are at like 5. Should I keep going with the ammonia adding? It's been about 6 weeks, so I don't know what's going on. Any advice?

Have you tested PH? PH drops are common during cycling and can cause stalls. Also what exactly does "low" mean? Numbers would help :) Have you done any water changes in that time? What type of ammonia are you using?

I'd do a 100% water change with dechlorinator and wait an hour and test ammonia again (just to make sure there wasn't an overdose and so you know the level you're starting with), then just dose it to 2 and let's see what happens.

Ok I added about a dropper full of ammonia last night and here's where I'm at this morning. PH is good, at about 7.6. Ammonia is at 2ppm. Nitrites are at about .50ppm.

Ok I added about a dropper full of ammonia last night and here's where I'm at this morning. PH is good, at about 7.6. Ammonia is at 2ppm. Nitrites are at about .50ppm.

Nitrites are good! Did you test your tap water though just to see if there is any ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate there? If not it's good to do so to see where you're starting from. It's still suggest a larger water change if you haven't already to restore some minerals back into the water that the bacteria can use. Did you add anythign to the tank such as a bacteria starter or anything to the filter like an ammonia remover? Just want to double-check. Also what's the temperature of the tank? Doe it have water movement from either the filter water falling into the tank or from running an air stone? Have you changed out any filter media or anything like that?

Woo ok I shall address all of the questions!
-I didn't test my tap water, no.
-The only thing I did when I started the tank was ADD the ammonia to I guess start the cycle. I had also had a couple of goldfish die in there, lol. But I changed most of the water after that happened.
-The water level is a bit below the filter, so I have the filter water falling into the tank making ripples. I don't have an air stone. I haven't changed any of the filter components.

ARGH. I just did another test and Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrate are all at zero. What can I put in this tankeroo to start building something? :(

Back
Top Bottom