Stock list...advice??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ive recently been debating a final stock list for my 55 gal tank...planning on making it a reef tank somewhere down the line once ive had the tank for long enough...i have about 50 lbs fiji liverock on top of a bed of livesand right now....ive been going back on forth for what fish to stock it with...heres what ive come up with

2 ocellaris clownfish - tank-raised (in there now)
id like to add a third clarkii clownfish or a yellow striped maroon clownfish- -----> too much???
purple firefish
lawnmower sailfish blenny
yellow tang
baby blue tang (until it outgrows that tank if it does)

how does this list sound...i tried to stay away from the most common but its hard to....also worried about bio-overloading

"tanks" alot!
Mike

i would skip the third clown and a yellow tang sounds like a good fit for a 55g

Definitely skip the third clown and blue tang. That amout of clowns in a 55 would be a dogfight. Also you blue tang needs a bigger tank. Your lawnmower blennie needs to be able to eat other foods. Make sure he`ll eat flake or other food as alot of these will not make the switch and end up dying. Yellow tang is a good idea.

thanks so much guys for the help....i havent made a final decision yet!! haha Ive decided to drop the idea of a 3rd clownfish and hosting a juvenile blue tang is pointless if it will outgrow the tank in the end i guess....

a few more ideas to run by you guys...

ill stick with the purple firefish and the lawnmower blenny...

thoughts on a coral beauty angelfish and a yellow eye tang instead of the blue tang, yellow tang and 3rd clown???

"tanks" alot
Mike

The kole tang is a good choice. I have both him and a yellow tang as well as a sailfin. I`ve had bad experiences with CB`s and my reef so I wont comment too much.

the yellow eye tang will fit in the 55 gal??? its adult size only gets to about 7-8 inches right?

"tanks" alot
Mike

Most fish will never make it to adult size unless you have a tank like Brendens. IMO fish in captivity never make it to adult size. You will be OK fo a kole tang in a 55. I had one in my 55 years ago.

question about the kole tang, ive read that they are shy and timid, is this true in your expierence?

Only at the begining. I have the same one that I talked about in my 55 in my 125 now and he is not shy in the least now.

cool, thanks man.
I agree with you...they really arent gonna reach full adult size most of the time.

"tanks" alot
Mike

Back
Top Bottom