Stocking 29 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jwspong

Aquarium Advice Regular
Going to bed setting up a 29 Gallon, heavily planted with a few caves (lots of hiding spots). Was wondering what you think about this stock.

I used that aquarium calculator and I'm at 100% capacity with 112% filtration.

1 red tail shark
1 african butterfly fish
1 male betta
2 electric blue rams
3 oto cats
3 albino cories
6 harlequin rasbora
1 mystery snail

Was going to add the shark and betta last, so everyone else is first to get a feel for the tank and find the hiding spots before the shark declares it his. Also, once he gets too big I will be rehoming. He's only about 2 inches at the moment.

Thanks!

Going to not bed......

Last edited by a moderator:
You may well find the Betta does not get along with the other fish, they can be very aggressive toward other fish, especially fish with fins similar to theirs.. longer ones, need not be as long as the Betta's are. Some fish will be ok, but many will not and you should be prepared that you might have to keep the Betta separately if he can't get along

The Otos and the shark are not a good combo. Otos are small, inquisitive and busy, all over the tank, where the sharks can become extremely territorial, so the Otos may be bullied, which they won't handle well. The Betta may not care for the shark either, and even the cories will likely be bullied by the shark. Pretty fish, but not the best community fish, IMO.

EBRs can also be a bit challenging to keep. Lovely fish, but not the best fish for a beginner. Might want to wait awhile before you get fish like that. They also prefer a mature tank, not a newly cycled one, another reason to wait and get the tank going and settled before spending the money

And I feel like I am raining on your parade, but the butterfly fish can be very aggressive too, territorial, and with fins like that, the Betta is going to hate it, and it's going to hate the Betta, I'd think. They also can jump, almost fly, so a tight cover is needed over the tank.

You need to research the needs of the species you want to keep, not just how many you can fit into the tank. Many fish get on well together, but you happened to pick a few that don't.

Last edited:
I would say no to the red-tail, it would probably try to tear the poor betta's fins off, it just probably wouldn't end well, and I've read a lot that red-tails prefer bigger tanks (40+). I would replace the red tail with another south american cichlid, maybe a keyhole those are pretty friendly and a over all enjoyable fish.

Bettas and redtails are very cool fish, but it can be difficult to find good tank-mates for them, I generally just keep my betta by himself and he seems pretty happy. I was going to get a red-tail for my 29 gal too at one point, but I decided against it, I ended up getting a platinum angelfish instead and I'm vary happy with my choice.

Edit:

Imo You might try Bolivian rams over Electric Blue Rams, they are easier to keep, not as colorful but I like them.

Last edited:
The main reason I'm getting the new tank is I have the red tail shark in a 50 gal but he chases around the other fish. Just the ones with similar bodies (barbs) doesn't bother long fin fish (guppies). So if there is a problem I guess I could move others to the 50 gal. Tank....

Also I have a blue ram in my 50 gal. And he's doing fine,. Does his own thing, doesn't bother anyone and no one bothers him.

Which type of barb are they, and how many ?. I agree maybe re-housing the barbs in the 29 gal might be a better idea and leaving the shark in the 50 gal.

Hope it works out.. clearly you are not a beginner. But the shark is doing just what it is known for, being territorial and pushy. Tiger barbs are pushy too, and fin nippers too.

I had some tiger barbs that ate a Betta down to the body almost overnight and killed it. I was only in my teens at the time and had no idea the Betta would be at risk, nor even that it was not a good community fish. Live and learn.

A 29G with a Betta and a RTS will end in a lot of aggression/stress and dead fish.

Back
Top Bottom