Stocking 46 gallon bow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidberger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Currently In fishless cycle, planning ahead!

46 gallon bow front, sand, fluval c4.

So far the only must are Cory cats.

Thinking sterba (6)
a group of mollies (1m-3f)
Scared of but like Bolivian ram (1-2?)
Like angel fish (1-2)?
Cherry barbs (6) scared of nipping

I realize I could have more Cory's, but would prefer to add more over time. I love the Bolivian rams but scared about durability and potential aggression.

Angle fish are okay...prefer the rams.

The schooling fish like barbs scare me due to potential fin nipping. I'm more of a tranquil peaceful guy!

Thanks,
David

Those barbs aren't very nippy. Bolivians are apparently durable but mine died for little reason so...

The rams add about a month after cycling that way they should live! A good stock for this tank IMO would be something like
8- Cory Cats
10- Cherry Barbs
3- Mollies 1m 2F
2- Bolivian Rams
1- Angelfish

The tank will be very peaceful and have plenty of color and movement commit to weekly 40-50 percent water changes though!

Are lemon tetras peaceful?

Would it be wise to switch the mollies for a school or tetras?

The rams add about a month after cycling that way they should live! A good stock for this tank IMO would be something like
8- Cory Cats
10- Cherry Barbs
3- Mollies 1m 2F
2- Bolivian Rams
1- Angelfish

Now the lady friend likes either mollie, black line penguin, danios or white cloud tetra.

What should I add?

Thanks,

David

Drop the cherry barbs from the stock and add 8 penguin tetra instead that should work. The extra female mollies will help with less aggression from the male.

Ok I think I finally tailored it....what do you guys think?

46 gallon, sand, fluval c4

8- Cory Cats (sterba)
8- black line penguin tetras
?- harlequin rasbora (not sure amount)
2- Bolivian Rams
1- Angelfish

I am looking for a colorful, hardy, semi-peaceful tank!!!

Thanks

Thanks josh, do I have to worry about penguin tetra fin nipping angel?

Also says black penguins tetras are too aggressive for harlequins?

Aqua advisor puts me at 108 capacity
And 83% for my filter

I think penguin tetras are fine I have seen them nip or attack fish. I would add a 2nd filter though just in case if your original one breaks.

What if I took out the penguin tetras and replaced them with 8-10 White Cloud Mountain ?

Aquavisor gives me no alerts and keeps my stocking under 100.

I dint trust aquadvisor just saying but that should work out fine to the minnows can adjust to Warner water.

I don't know if the bio load or size of the sail fin Molly is different from the normal Molly but if there isn't i would recommend the sail fin Molly, the males look amazingImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392868728.624395.jpg
Here's mine that had mystery death unfortunatley :(
Edit: i just looked it up and the sailfin are much bigger :( but if you like them you should check them out!

Back
Top Bottom