Stocking a 25gal tank, Ideas please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trinityhalo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I was just just given an new 25gal tank for Christmas. The tank has been cycled and I just added 5 Black skirts, who are doing really well and fun to watch dart around the tank as they play and 1 tiger snail.

What I was wonder is what else should I place in my tank? I was thinking something like

5-BST
6-Ottos
5- kuhli loach
1- Gourami
1-Tiger snail.

The back area of the tank has smooth stone gravel that peaks at the back corners and slopes down to a nice big area with sand in the front. With some plants through out the tank and wooden like decorations to hide around and in. (I plan on getting a little cave as well.)

Would this be an okay pairing?

I would wait another month or so before adding the otos. Some schooling rasboras would look nice. I would not add a gourami due to the fact that the tetras may pick on the long fins.

My stocking recommendation would be:

5 black skirt tetras
5 harlequin rasboras
3 kuhli loaches
1 pearl OR opaline gourami
3 otocinclus
1 tiger nerite snail

My stocking recommendation would be:

5 black skirt tetras
5 harlequin rasboras
3 kuhli loaches
1 pearl OR opaline gourami
3 otocinclus
1 tiger nerite snail

I do enjoy that setup, I just thought Oto's needed to be in larger groups then three?

Kuhlis and Otos are social. 6 or more is typically recommended. I've had 4 Otos because my tank was small.

You won't see Kuhlis very much in such small groups. The more you have, the braver they are.

Be very cautious about 3 spot Gouramis. Opaline is a color variety of 3 Spot. They can become highly aggressive esp in smaller tanks.

Pearls are the nicest of the big Gouramis. The Skirt tetras can be nippy as was mentioned.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Personally I'd have one nice-sized school, the otos (which as mentioned should be added later), and a group of kuhlis. They are one of my favorite fish but definitely are more active with friends. An alternative to the otos could be a small pleco.

You should look at getting zebra ottos. I think they're much cooler looking than standard ones.

I wish the person I talked to at my LFS would have told me about the skirts being nippy. Other wise I might have taken a different road. But I have them, and they are fun to watch play. Originally I got them to go with my betta, who sadly passed away before he got moved to the tank. Which I now know wouldn't have been smart anyways.

The only reason I'd like a Gourami is for just a little pop of color. Plus their temperaments never seem too bad.

DONT get Zebra Otos. I agree they are cool fish but honestly, Otos are kinda sketchy when you first get them and even I had one die on me in the first 3 days ( the other 5 lived). I would not recommend getting these little buggers because of how freakin expensive they are. The fewest you could probably get away with would be 3, and that would already be 45$ upward for fish that have a good potential to die

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No No No !!!
"golden" algae eaters are gold colored CAE ( Chinese Algae Eaters ) !!

They get big and mean and suck slime coats off slower fish or sleeping fish !!

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have 4 there is nothing bad that has ever happened with them. I've had them for 3 years no problems.

Yesterday I got 5 kuhli's and they are just the funniest thing ever. Thought they have yet to figure out they can dig around in the sand, so they just hide in the plants and cave. Anything else I'd add to it right now, I wouldn't add right away.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom