Stocking a 7 gallon hex.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Albiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My little brother will be setting up a 7 gal hex tank when we move house around Christmas time. We were wondering what fish/shrimp/snails/whatever he could put in it? We know about cycling and everything and i have a test kit he can use. Thanks guys! :D

Hmm a hex sort of limits your options for fish as it doesn't have enough floor space for most that could fit in small tanks....maybe you could try a trio of sparkling gouramis in there, or you could do a betta and some colorful schooling fish like ember tetras. A killifish could work as well, and jeta keeps mentioning pygmy sunfish, which you oculd try as well. You could also try a species tank, like dwarf puffers (only one) or shell dwelling cichlids. Shrimp and snails depends on what fish you want. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the suggestions but he just told me he definitely wants a betta. What fish can he have with him? Apart from the embers tetras which i know about? Thanks! :)

Hmm depends on the betta. I would try experimenting on his personality first by trying him with some cheap ghost shrimp and see how he does with that. If he tries to eat them or bite them, I'm not sure what you'd get. If he doesn't mind them, I'd think he's fish safe.

What are the dimensions of the tank? IMO I would only keep a betta and some snails or shrimps in there.

Okay then I'll try that. If he's a nice betta would he be able to have a school me Chili/Mosquito Rasboras because i know our LFS definitely stocks them. :)

I would only keep a betta in there, there is no horizontal swimming room for a school

A bettas pushing it too. But if you decide to go with one, only have snails or shrimp

No ADF it's not enough swimming room. Keep the betta with only snails or shrimp in that size tank

Back
Top Bottom