Stocking a New Tank and a Heater Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably a silly question, do fish get tired as the night goes on? All the zebras have slowed down in the last half hour and are kind of off on their own in different parts of the tank. A few are just kind of floating around. Really hope that's not a sign of bad news in the morning.

Again, thank you everyone for the great advice. Looking forward to doing a water change tomorrow to help protect all the zebras.

Probably a silly question, do fish get tired as the night goes on? All the zebras have slowed down in the last half hour and are kind of off on their own in different parts of the tank. A few are just kind of floating around. Really hope that's not a sign of bad news in the morning.

Again, thank you everyone for the great advice. Looking forward to doing a water change tomorrow to help protect all the zebras.

My fish slow down at night when the lights are off almost like they are resting.. turn the lights back on and it's a mad house lol

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have the light on a timer. 2PM-10PM that way I can see them when I get home from work.

As I'm thinking about the next round of fish to get by looking at aqadvisor, I'm wondering if I should upgrade the filter system, or would that be detrimental to the growth of my tank? If I did upgrade, is there any suggestions for a new filter system? I've seen the Aqueon 20 has good reviews on multiple sites.

I have the light on a timer. 2PM-10PM that way I can see them when I get home from work.

As I'm thinking about the next round of fish to get by looking at aqadvisor, I'm wondering if I should upgrade the filter system, or would that be detrimental to the growth of my tank? If I did upgrade, is there any suggestions for a new filter system? I've seen the Aqueon 20 has good reviews on multiple sites.

Your filter houses the BB your aquarium needs. I just changed a pad on my 45 gallon and I put a filter from another tank on there to protect my cycle. Because I changed my pad (it was disgusting) I took out all that beneficial bacteria that cleans the tank. By switching your filter you would basically be starting your hard earned cycle over again.

You can get a new filter but I would run both so you can keep your cycle going.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

With the Top Fin 10 filter, it really looks like the number of fish that that type of filtration can handle is limited. I'm already at the capacity almost with just the 5 zebras. Adding in a few small cories and maybe one other fish, it greatly lowers the effectiveness of the filter it looks like.

Are there small, additional filter systems that I could get to bolster the filtration of the tank?

With the Top Fin 10 filter, it really looks like the number of fish that that type of filtration can handle is limited. I'm already at the capacity almost with just the 5 zebras. Adding in a few small cories and maybe one other fish, it greatly lowers the effectiveness of the filter it looks like.

Are there small, additional filter systems that I could get to bolster the filtration of the tank?
What's your reasoning behind that statement?

What's your reasoning behind that statement?

Using Aqadvisor to see what the tank can handle without being overwhelmed, and it said that having 5 zebras, a few albinos or other cories, and a gourami would be too much for the filtration system in place.

Was wondering if there was a smaller filter system that could be added along with the one already in place?

Just did a small water change as the water level was getting so low from condensation/evaporation. Added in dechlorinator and shook the pitchers of water several times to get it moving. Hoping I did everything correctly so that Minion and the Mob are alive and well in the morning. Bigger water change coming on Saturday. Do you recommend cleaning the rocks and such at this time?

Just did a small water change as the water level was getting so low from condensation/evaporation. Added in dechlorinator and shook the pitchers of water several times to get it moving. Hoping I did everything correctly so that Minion and the Mob are alive and well in the morning. Bigger water change coming on Saturday. Do you recommend cleaning the rocks and such at this time?

I do a spot vacuum every other weekend

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

For stocking if you are looking for a school for a 10g have you looked at the dwarf rasboras or ember tetras? They are smaller than neons - a little bit more expensive but the same amount of them would be much happier in a 10g than a neon school

You can add another filter but that doesn't alleviate the space issue for them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom