Stocking Additions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mxg5299

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 36 gallon with:
- 1 Rainbow Shark
- 3 Denison Barb
- 6 Glolight Tetra

I've kept the tank this way for a long time, but it still has plenty of room and appears somewhat empty with the expection of the barbs. Any ideas for something to add? (The rainbow shark is 4+ years old, hasn't exceeded 3-4 in)

What are you looking for? Size, color, schooling/solitary?
You can never go wrong with a school of neons to add some flashes of color.
For some occasional appearances, I love watching my kuhli loaches as they dig around in the gravel for food and swim up and down the sides of the tank. I only have three, but will be getting a few more in the future (they do best in groups).
I don't have swordtails, but I have always loved the way they look, especially pineapple swordtails. I'm not sure how they would get along with your current stock in the 36 gal though.

I've had neons in the past, they're very hardy but they would form white buildups on their mouths (just fish equivalent of scabs) and die of starvation or just disappear. I love swordtails as well and I'm just looking for a mid-sized active swimmer that I can get a small group of. I might do otocinclus for some algae control and I'm not a fan of cory cats. It's hard to find any other active bottom dwellers that don't get too big. But any smaller active swimmers that I don't have to get an entire school for would be great.

What about a dwarf gourami for the mid-level and a few kuhli loaches for the bottom? The kuhli's grow to about 3-4" long but are about as thin as a pencil and fun to watch, especially during feeding time. The dwarf gourami adds some nice color and is solitary, so no partner needed (same with the honey gourami, only a couple of inches, and the pearl gourami is only about 4" or so and has a mild temperament)

Another idea is a couple of bluespotted sunfish. I have 4 in my tank - they are peaceful and can develop amazing coloration at about 3.5 inches.

Yeah I've heard that gouramis don't do great in pairs or small groups in general, last thing I need is something to stir up the barbs and rainbow's mild aggression. My friend has kuhlis and they hide all day and just come out to eat. My tank is pretty densely decorated so that's why I want something more active and outgoing that won't get lost in the plants and such.

Would something like German Blue Rams work? Anything similar? They're really cool and reasonably small but I'm not sure how they do in a small group of 2-3.

Platies!!!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Any other mid-sized bottom and middle dwellers? I don't know how much the shark needs the bottom to himself. The barbs aren't aggressive but I'd like something that I can get a small group of but not necessarily school.

Back
Top Bottom