Stocking advice on 60g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FamilyFish3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Trying numerous configurations in the stocking calculator has lead to a bit of frustration and eventually to this post. We need suggestions on what to add next. We would like a good sized school or two and as peaceful a tank as possible. Currently stocked with 1 female Pearl Gourami and 2 Blue Gouramis (1M & 1F). The male Blue is the bossy one of the 3. No sure if the Gouramis were the way to start off but here we are.

Fish we like:
Boesemani rainbows (top choice)
Denison Barbs
Odessa Barbs
Corys (green and sterbaii)
Snakeskin barbs
Dalmation Molly
Celestial Peral danio
Siamese Algae eater instead of Red Tailed Shark

attachment.php

playground:
60gal Freshwater
Fluval 306
80/20 mix of PFS and Black Diamond 20-40
2 x 18" T8s

Anubias (attached to center driftwood)
Java fern (attached to top driftwood)
2 mondo grass (left)
Small melon sword (reddish in center)
Amazon sword (back right)
Plant in bunch (not sure name/LFS said it grows tall and cut stems will regrow)

I'd avoid the red tail shark they get big and lose there velvet black body colour as they get older.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Great looking tank! Sorry I'm no help on the fish end though, have you used that mondo grass before?

I had read it often dies off?

Great looking tank! Sorry I'm no help on the fish end though, have you used that mondo grass before?

I had read it often dies off?

Thanks! Yes, I've read mondo grass is not truly an aquatic plant and will eventually die. We are limited to only a few LFS within an hours drive and didn't see much else. I would prefer to get some cabomba or anacharis...at least something that grows tall.

I would recommend adding more female gouramis in the blue gourami family, this will reduce some of the aggression Mr Bossy has towards the ladies.

As far as trying to track down specific types of fish or plants, I found an eBay type website for fish. Aquabid.com

Also, there are a lot of breeders that have setup websites and will be willing to ship (as long as you are willing to pay the shipping expenses and weather permits.).

I just bought some plants on aquariumplantsandsupplies.com. they were well priced, and free shipping. I can't vouch for their quality yet though....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, so we have are following the rule to add only a few fish at a time. Purchased 3 boesmani rainbows (1m, 2f) and 3 turquoise rainbows (1m, 2f) from LFS a week ago. They are all in the 2-3 inch range and juvenile. (Worked with the owner to help identify the gender.) I know they should have at least 5-6 for each type, so my question is this...if we add more rainbows, what kind of bottom feeders could we add and how many should we get?

Interested in these possibilities:
5-6 cory sterbai, or
5-6 dwarf chain loach (botia?), or
shrimp that are large enough not to be bothered by Gouramis?

We are open to other suggestions and just to note we are using the aqadvisor stocking calculator for scenarios. The tank has a fluval 306 canister and would consider upgrading once the fish mature if needed.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom