Stocking: Dwarf Puffer in 3 Gallon or Smaller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellyinvancouver

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello hello hello,

I have recently been admiring dwarf puffers from afar, but am nervous about subjecting my community tank to one... I understand that they are nippy and solitary (when mature) and would like to devote a nano-tank (desktop?) to one.

I am looking at 3 tanks: a square 1.5 gal, a 2 gal mini-bow or a square 3 gal. Needless to say, all tanks would be heated, heavily forested, supplied with frozen food/pellets and cleaned very throrughly (I'm a neat freak) every Saturday. What is the minimum size a dwarf puffer (and the odd shrimp/snail to snack on) would be comfortable with? The smaller the better (as long as the puffer is happy).

Thanks for your input!

I'd say 10g is the minimum you should go with. Keep in mind you will have to keep a good stock of live foods for the DP's. Snails seem to be the food of choice for many. I think someone on here has 4 in a 10g, maybe they will see this and post some more information.

I feel like a single puffer would be ok in a 5g, but nothing smaller. From what they eat (frozen and live foods), they make alot of waste for their small size so a 5g would be a little more water volume for them. Make sure it has a good filter as well. Not sure if you have a Petsmart nearby, but they usually sell 5.5g tanks and one would be perfect for a DP...or any 5g.

I feel like a single puffer would be ok in a 5g, but nothing smaller. From what they eat (frozen and live foods), they make alot of waste for their small size so a 5g would be a little more water volume for them. Make sure it has a good filter as well. Not sure if you have a Petsmart nearby, but they usually sell 5.5g tanks and one would be perfect for a DP...or any 5g.

Okay- good to know! I've browsed alot of species pages but all their minimum tank sizes were geared towards multiple DPs, eg 10gal plus 5gal for each puffer. I have a 5.5 gal... maybe someday its inhabitants (4 endlers and a female betta) will move on up and a DP will take up residence there :D

Back
Top Bottom