Stocking Fluval Spec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshuA c

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a fluval spec that will be freshwater. but i am new to freshwater so i'm not sure about stocking these little things (2g). i am thinking of a few shrimp, a gold algae eater and two neon tetras. would this be fine or too much?

JoshuA c said:
I have a fluval spec that will be freshwater. but i am new to freshwater so i'm not sure about stocking these little things (2g). i am thinking of a few shrimp, a gold algae eater and two neon tetras. would this be fine or too much?

They are shrimp tanks I would do bumble bee shrimp or RCS possibly a Betta if your good for water changes

Neons are schooling fish and would be much happier in a bigger group. I have usually seen people recommend at least 6. That would need a bigger tank. While some people keep bettas in 2 gallons and smaller, they also tend to do better in bigger tanks (I think 5 gallons is reasonable, though some might argue for bigger). A 2 gallon tank is a tough size... I agree with the previous suggestion of shrimp, though I have not yet kept them and know little about them. I was eying them up for a bit and smaller tanks seemed to be par for the course for shrimp only tanks. I wonder if there are any nano fish that might work that aren't big schoolers? The only nanos I know are things like ember tetras and they like to school.

Sorry that my comments are mainly negative! Hopefully someone with experience of small tanks will have more suggestions about what you CAN keep in there, rather than commenting on what might not work. :p

Gold Algae Eaters are nasty. They are a color variety of the infamous Chinese Algae Eater !
CAE suck body slime off any fish they can catch. They get quite large also.

2g is plants and Shrimp only.

Or lots of plants and try a pair of Scarlet Badis only.

Too small for almost all Nano Fish. They usually want schools.

Back
Top Bottom