Stocking help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 27 gal bowfront with

2 rams (m/f)
5 rosy barbs
1 BN pleco

I want to add some more fish. I want 2 or 3 otos for sure. But the next part is hard. I think I really want 1 angelfish (my tank is 20" tall. Great tank for an angel). But, I really want to have something I can breed. What would you guys recommend? Stick with the angel of something else I can breed?

I have a 27 gal bowfront with

2 rams (m/f)
5 rosy barbs
1 BN pleco

I want to add some more fish. I want 2 or 3 otos for sure. But the next part is hard. I think I really want 1 angelfish (my tank is 20" tall. Great tank for an angel). But, I really want to have something I can breed. What would you guys recommend? Stick with the angel of something else I can breed?

I'd go ahead and get an angel. 3 ottos would be fine in that tank as well. Your rams (if male and female) might breed. If they aren't male and female, then I would suggest trying angels. If you got two angels, I would get rid of one or both rams (or move them to another tank).

You're kind of at a place where I would only make minor stocking changes, ie, increasing the number of species you already have rather than adding new species. I would personally be wary of having 2 rams and an angel in a tank that size, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't work.

You're kind of at a place where I would only make minor stocking changes, ie, increasing the number of species you already have rather than adding new species. I would personally be wary of having 2 rams and an angel in a tank that size, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't work.

In my experience as long as an angel doesn't go in the rams territory I should be good. And I doubt an angel will swim all the way into a tiny cave at the bottom. Angels are mid to top and my rams don't go above a few inches from the bottom

It's a small tank though, so the strata aren't as well defined as they would be in a larger tank. The pair of rams I had used the bottom 2/3 or so of my 40B, which is a similar height to a 28g BF. It's the kind of situation that will probably be just fine until it isn't, which could be triggered by the angel growing larger, or the rams deciding to breed.

It's a small tank though, so the strata aren't as well defined as they would be in a larger tank. The pair of rams I had used the bottom 2/3 or so of my 40B, which is a similar height to a 28g BF. It's the kind of situation that will probably be just fine until it isn't, which could be triggered by the angel growing larger, or the rams deciding to breed.

I'm pretty good with dealing with aggression. Every fish is different so ill try it out and then see how it goes. Also I thought a 40B was a short, but long tank? I may be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom