Stocking idea need feedback please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm new to the whole "online" thing. My kids set me up with a new phone (my first Cel) and a tablet thing? They put the app kijii on it and I've been looking through that. I've never used craigslist? I'm in Canada, Alberta do we have that here?

I don't think we have a petco either. I've been searching the directory to no avail. :-(

Well I'd just keep my eyes out on Craigslist, which you do have... But no deals today. And start your discus as soon as you are sure the ich is gone.

I will! :) I'm giving the ich treatment the full two weeks and if I see even one little white spec even longer! Lol thank you again for all the information. I'm sure as I go along I may have more inquisitions. Do you mind if I call on you in the future for those as well?

I'm so excited! I found a tank!! I think it looks pretty decent. The best part? It's $75.00 for a 60gal with stand and it matches all the wood in my house :)
What do you think? Good deal?

Attachments

• image-747895360.jpg
    image-747895360.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 64
Looks great! Does it have filter /heater/ lights?

Do you know how to disinfect an aquarium?

Just the canopy :-( it gives me room to set it up just the way I want. I'm going to take my time with it. A lot of research is in my future. Lol! I figured I'd use the same method I've used to disinfect the vacuum I've been using on the ich tank? Bleach,vinegar and hot hot water? Unless you have another way in mind??

I think that looks great! Assuming it comes wiht a decent filter/heater, it seems like a good buy. :)
I just use vinegar for my tanks. Getting the bleach residue out of a tank is hard than getting it off the gravel vac because of the shape. Besides, if it has been sitting dry for awhile, theres not too much thats going to be alive on it that could damage your fish. So, vinegar/water should be fine IMO. :)

Sadly, no filter/heater. My budget was $175.00 for a tank got this for $75.00 which gives me $100.00 to use towards the stuff I'll need. I'll just have to wait for the good sales ;-) tanks around here don't go cheap, even used ones so I think I got pretty lucky even if it doesn't come with anything. I've seen 30gals go for $300+ here.(Just to give an idea)

Ouch. Too bad. Good thing you found one in your budget. I have heard that more than once about Canda that its hard to find cheap tanks.

I was just looking in the catalogue, there are so many to choose from. I know that with the hood on the tank and the plan for discus, I'm going to need a canister filter. That way I can control what filters,media and carbons I'll need? Am I on the right track?

Now trying to figure out which "brand" is going to be the best. I've spent the majority of the day reading product reviews. Lol! So if anyone has any input as to which one is their preference please feel free to post. :)

So I do use canisters with my discus. However, most breeders I know don't. Moving forward I won't either.

I like canisters, especially the new advanced fluvals. The g6 continues to be my favorite overall filter. It is just plain user friendly. Albeit, very expensive.

The fx5 is an absolute monster, and is my second favorite filter.

---

However, with discus... Most of this makes absolutely no difference. Think about it; 1-2 DWC. Infact other then medicine removal; Chemical filtration is useless. Additionally; my mechanical are never dirty... DWC is your mechanical.

So the only true useful filter for discus is bio... And with the amount of poo and food for discus, bio is very important to keep the tanks from having ammonia spikes.

So you might just consider 3-4 breeder (sponge) filters & a good air pump. Breeders also add air to the water, which is needed in high temp tanks.

Oh definitely good to know! I never really thought about it like that. I was originally looking at the bio wheels but this tank with the canopy the way it is, I'm not sure if it will work. I'm picking it up on Saturday, I'll have a better idea once I get it home. It's hard to configure what could go where from just pictures.

Back
Top Bottom