Stocking Ideas for 40gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsparrow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 40 gal breeder tank with currently 11 fish that I have had for a while now
Currently I have..
1 male angelfish
1 female opaline gourami
1 male moonlight gourami
2 swordtails
1 pleco
2 Corydoras
1 oto cat
2 Kuhli loaches

I’d love to add some hilstream loaches I’ve had them in this tank before but I’d like to add more variety any ideas? Thanks

Okay you have a lot going on haha I would not add hillstreams at all you have other matter to attend to what type of pleco is it? If it’s a common it’s going to outgrow your tank quickly I have a solid 14 inch one I can show you in my 135 haha. Also you need to bump this Cory numbers up to at least 6 all the same species of course you also need at least 6 kuhli loaches so first thing I would do is add those and rehome the pleco if it’s a common or sailfin and find yourself a nice bristlenose pleco. Best algae eaters around

Okay you have a lot going on haha I would not add hillstreams at all you have other matter to attend to what type of pleco is it? If it’s a common it’s going to outgrow your tank quickly I have a solid 14 inch one I can show you in my 135 haha. Also you need to bump this Cory numbers up to at least 6 all the same species of course you also need at least 6 kuhli loaches so first thing I would do is add those and rehome the pleco if it’s a common or sailfin and find yourself a nice bristlenose pleco. Best algae eaters around

It’s a bristlenose, and yes I just added more Kuhlis and Corydoras yesterday haha. Now there up to 7 each. Is there any type of small tetra (big enough the angelfish or gouramis won’t snatch haha) to school also I have had so hilstream loaches in their before and they did just fine with all the others but they passed of old age I had them forever haha, trying to make the tank more lively right now it looks like theirs nothing in there

I had success with Cardinal Tetras and Angels a few years back. They're colorful and fun, but still small-ish. Young Roseline sharks might work too, and the Angels wouldn't likely catch them, but they would eventually outgrow a 40. Lastly, another alternative might be a school of black or gold skirt tetras to liven things up.

Back
Top Bottom