Stocking ideas for 50g, 4 foot tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't have any ideas on how to stock my 50g, 200 litre, 4 foot tank.

My tap water has ph of 7.6.

Im looking for interesting fun fish. Bottom dwellers, middle dwellers and top dwellers. 1 large show fish would be nice too.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bottom dwellers: 5+ cory cats (I love the julii cories), maybe a few shrimp...

Mid-dwellers: a large school of rasboras or tetras would be sweet.

Top dwellers: maybe some hatchetfish? They're oddities, and prone to jump so make sure you have a lid!

A showcase fish might be a pair of German Blue Rams. Not huge, but gorgeous fish. Or, perhaps a small school of rainbowfish; they do get larger, so that may be pushing it in your tank.

This is definitely not everything, but just a few species off the top of my head. Make sure to do your own research and get fish with like habitats. Other than that, the possibilities are almost endless!!

Good luck and be sure to cycle first!!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I would do a Pearl Gourami. They tend to be top level and are gorgeous.

I would do 10-12 of a single species of Cory. C sterbai is a favorite.

Large group of Bleeding Hearts or Glowlight Tetras.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would do 5 4inch discus for a middle dwelling, showcase fish. They can be expensive, and they are hard to care for and require high tempuratures (80-86F), but they are stunning and interactive. For a cheaper alternative I would do german blue rams. For bottom dwellers, I agree, I would do 5+ Corydoras trillineatus or Corydoras Sterbai . I also agree that 4-5+ pearl gouramis would make an excellent top level show fish. And don't forget tetras! I would get as many diamond, cardinal, emperor, bleeding heart, hi five, or rummynose tetras as possible.

I would do 5 4inch discus for a middle dwelling, showcase fish. They can be expensive, and they are hard to care for and require high tempuratures (80-86F), but they are stunning and interactive. For a cheaper alternative I would do german blue rams. For bottom dwellers, I agree, I would do 5+ Corydoras trillineatus or Corydoras Sterbai . I also agree that 4-5+ pearl gouramis would make an excellent top level show fish. And don't forget tetras! I would get as many diamond, cardinal, emperor, bleeding heart, hi five, or rummynose tetras as possible.

Gouramis are NOT social. They will fight. Even opp sex fish may fight. Even mated pairs may fight.

They hit 4". One is sufficient. Or 2 that are opp sex, but have a backup plan if you need to pull one.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+2855+966&pcatid=966

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. Pearls are one of the rather peaceful gouramis. I have 2, a male and female and they get along okay. I was thinking of selling them though. Kinda like redtail sharks, pearl gouramis only really get along in large shoals.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

I would do a cichlid tank! I would do a stock of
9 Tiger Barbs
1 Firemouth cichlid
1 convict cichlid
1 blue acara

9 Tiger Barbs
1 Firemouth cichlid
1 convict cichlid
1 blue acara

Thats more along the lines of what im looking for. Only 1 or 2 big fish though and more smaller fish and catfish
Thanks.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. Pearls are one of the rather peaceful gouramis. I have 2, a male and female and they get along okay. I was thinking of selling them though. Kinda like redtail sharks, pearl gouramis only really get along in large shoals.

But they aren't shoaling fish !?!

Anabantids are territorial.

The males are especially aggressive towards other males, but females can get aggressive as well.

There's not enough room in a 50 gallon for multiple separate territories which is what these fish require to be happy. Gouramis may also be aggressive towards other species of Gourami as well as towards other fish with look-alike fins or behavior.

In general they are peaceful towards tank mates that are not Gouramis or other Anabantids.

Yeah. All anabantids are territorial, but pearl gouramis are maybe the most peaceful of them all. maybe just 1 gourami then

9 Tiger Barbs
1 Firemouth cichlid
1 convict cichlid
1 blue acara

I would drop the firemouth. I tried a firemouth with a blue acara.
Day 1, 2 and 3 Firemouth constantly flares at acara. Acara ignores fire mouth.
Day 4 Firemouth flares at Acara....... Acara almost kills firemouth.
I don't think the firemouth can stand up to the acara or convict.

Ok so:
1 large centerpiece fish
1 group of schooling fish
1 or 2 specie catfish
1 topdweller

Back
Top Bottom