stocking list for 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cole31818

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. Wanted everyone's opinion on the following stocking list:

55 gallon
Aquatop CF400uv
T5-HO 3x54w
250w heater
PFS substrate

Exisitng fish that will be put in 55 g
(1) Rosy Barb
(1) Brstlenose

Woudl like to add to the 55 g
(2) Koi Angel
(5) Gourmai
(1) Assassin Snail
(2) groups of schooling fish? any thoughts or ideas?

I will be also doing a low light plants? Any ideass on some plants that are easy to take care of and low maintenance.

thanks for the help!

Hey I just got my gourami today they are great I also have in my 17 g 3 black widow tetras getting six they are great schoolers and they look amazing try them out.

And you can go for some cardinal or neon tetras
Maybe get 15 black widows plus or minus

I dont know about putting gouramis with angels. Gouramis may nip at the angelfishs fins. The same with the rosy barb. Most barbs are serious schooling fish and turn into horrible fin nippers when they are under stress.

I have kept between 4 and 6 gourami with a angel for over 3 years. Not much fin nippling at all. I agree that the barbs might though. What kind of gourami are you looking to get? You should try to only get one of each spieces, they seem to fight more when there is multiples.

You said you want low light plants, but you have medium to high light. 3x54w lights is a good amount of light for a 55g. You could do all types of moss,crtyps, ferns, swords, and anubis.

thanks for the info.

Maybe i will keep my barb in his existing tank. I have had him for 4 years and want to keep him happy and not fight with other fish.

No preference on the gourami, as of know. Good to know to get different varieties.

For the plants - sorry I forgot to put that I am only going ot run (1) 6500K t5 light and (1) blue actinic and turn the thrid one off. I don't want to get into med/high lighting and have to worry about co2

You can put the bard into the 55g you just need to get more of them. It will make him happier. They like to have atleast 5 in a group I would say. But the more the better.

I would definitely not have 5 gouramis in a 55gallon tank with angelfish.
I would suggest adding a male/female pair of pearl gouramis to the tank. I keep a male pearl with my 4 angelfish and I've never had a problem with fin nipping or aggression

I would definitely not have 5 gouramis in a 55gallon tank with angelfish.
I would suggest adding a male/female pair of pearl gouramis to the tank. I keep a male pearl with my 4 angelfish and I've never had a problem with fin nipping or aggression

Why not 5 gourami in a 55g with angel? Because of argession or size/bioload/stock reasons? I have had an angel in a 30g with gourami for over 2 years, moved them to a 65 for over a year now, never any agression. Just curious for your reason.

Why not 5 gourami in a 55g with angel? Because of argession or size/bioload/stock reasons? I have had an angel in a 30g with gourami for over 2 years, moved them to a 65 for over a year now, never any agression. Just curious for your reason.

Because gouramis easily reach six inches, and angelfish grow to the same size, but also can get twelve inches tall. Keeping one gourami and one angelfish together is not a problem. But with 5 gouramis you will have to deal with territorial problems from those fishes, as well as the two angelfish.
As I said, I keep a pearl gourami with my four angelfish and have never had any issues with fin nipping or aggression.
Pearls are (IME) the most peaceful species of gourami and do well in community tanks.
Putting 5 gouramis (especially if they are Trichogaster trichopterus) with angelfish is asking for trouble.
I suppose it could be pulled off if the tank is heavily planted and have enough sight-breakers, but I wouldn't do it

Back
Top Bottom