Stocking my next reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickstar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm possibly getting a 100 gallon tank and I was wondering if this list of fish will work for thereef tank:
-blue hippo tang
-yellow tang
-2 ocellaris clownfish
-royal gramma
-copperband butterfly
-Midas Benny
-firefish
-sailfin tang
-flameback angel
-Niger trigger

Go to LiveAquaria and use their search feature to look up your fish.....

Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

Many of the fish you have listed require a much larger tank than a 100 gallon, and ALL of the tangs, the trigger, & butterfly require a minimum of a 6ft tank with plenty of swimming room. Even if your 100 is a 6 footer, there isn't enough vertical height to give these guys space from each other.

Last edited:
Yeah realistically you want to aim for 1 inch of fish per 5 gallon. the hippo tang is a definite no go as is the niger trigger as these would be too big and the niger is not reef safe. the copperband is just too bag and although may do ok in the tank it is a difficult fish and not really reef safe espescially with anenomes. the sailfin would also be to large for the aquarium. angle fish are also not great reef fish due to their tendancy to nip at corrals.

on the plus side the clowns, yellow tang, fire fish, royal gramma, midas blenny will all be fine in there but that would probably be about all you would want to add int he first 12 months anyway

Back
Top Bottom