Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chew valley

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 240 litre tank (52 Uk gallons, thinks that's 64 US)

I currently have

6 x Zebra Danio's
6 x Platy's
3 x Swordtails (1 male, 2 female)
1 x Gold Gourami (Female)
1 x Pearl Gourami (Female)
1 x Betta (Male)
1 x Siamese Flying Fox

Do you think this tank is already fully stocked?

I am thinking I need some bottom dwellers. So was thinking of 2 Bristlenose Catfish. Was looking at Cory's but I have gravel and not sand so think the BC's might be better. Is 2 a good number of these or more?

Another nice sized fish for the middle of the tank would be nice too but think it might be pushing it.

Any help here is much appreciated as I am quite new to all this really.

Thanks

Andy

You can probably fit the BNs. I would watch the Flying Fox--they can get aggressive like the Chinese Algae Eater.

Hmm. The Siamese Algae Eater is also called a Siamese Flying Fox (stupid common names *lol*) and they are fine. However, the aggressive Flying Foxes are also labeled Siamese Flying Foxes (see previous parenthesis, :D ).

If you trust your fish store, you're probably fine. If you're curious, look up the visual differences. :) Sorry--only reason I mention it is so you don't get a nasty surprise if it was mislabeled.

I am not sure about the flying fox things because I have never heard of a siamese flying fox. So, I am just leaving that alone.
Assuming its a nice, non-aggressive fish, then I think both cories and bnp would be fine in your tank. 2 bnp shouild be ok.
Cories don't need sand. I keep mine of regular aquarium gravel and have never seen a scratched belly or worn barbels before. I know a bunch of other people who also keep them on regular aquarium gravel and they have the same experience as me. If your gravel is very jagged, then I would be cautious though. But, I think most standard aquarium gravel is fine. :)

Missed the corys bit--no, they don't need sand. I had my peppered on both gravel and eco complete for a while, and they and the rest have a combination of eco complete and sand. It sure is fun watching them sift through and dive bomb the sandy area, but no, not necessary. I've done enough research to satisfy myself that most of the reports of injury on regular pebble/gravel substrates stem from water quality problems. They dug through the gravel just fine, although they dig less in the eco complete.

Back
Top Bottom