Stocking suggestions for 36 Gallon Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

I have had a 36 Gallon bowfront aquarium for about a year now, and I want to know what I could add to the current fish below

As of right now there are:
8 Harlequin Rasboras (All between 1-1.5 inches)
1 Bristlenose Pleco (I would say around 3 inches in length)
3 Bronze Cories
3 Japanese Trapdoor snails (And possibly 3 more babies)

No aggression issues between any of the fish, the all get along and are eating well. They are fed every other day alternating between a cube of frozen brine shrimp and tetramin Fish Flakes + a Hikari Algae wafer for the BN.

I am not sure if I gave all sufficient information, so please tell me if I need to give anymore info

What do you want to add?

You have plenty of scope to add more. You could house 3x more bioload than you already have.

You could increase the numbers of fish you already have, or add another group of schooling fish, or add a couple of larger fish like angelfish, or a bit of all three.

I would add another 3 corys. They prefer to be in bigger groups than the 3 you have. Will be happier with a few more and show more natural behaviour.

3x? That is a lot of fish I could add. I decided to add ember tetras (5 of them to be precise) right now since there were no bronze cories available at the LFS and there wouldn’t be a new shipment until next week. Ember tetras should be fine right?

You could comfortably double the bioload, and push it further if you are prepared to change plenty of water on a regular basis.

Less is often more though. It might look a bit too busy if you fully stocked the tank, but i think you could support 3x your current bioload if you chose to. Even if you based your stocking level on 1" per gallon (which is a conservative level) you are nowhere near that.

I see, although I do want to make sure my fish have enough room to move around as well

So would 8 harlequin rasboras, 6 bronze cories, a BN pleco, 7 Japanese trapdoor snails( due to the babies, I might also get a mystery snail) and 10-15 ember tetras be completely stocked? I would get more cories but i don’t want to cause any aggression by accident even tho my BN has many hiding spots and has never shown aggression. My BN was the first fish added to the tank after all

Change about 1/3 of the water every week and that should be fine. You could add more, but see how things are.

Dont add a ton load more fish in one go. Try and not more than 1/3 new bioload in any two week period.

Back
Top Bottom