Stocking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Islayedgoliath

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 40 gallon which I want to start up soon but the only thing holding me back is that my mom won't let me set it up. I'm still trying to convince her. I've been thinking about fish I want to put in it after I have it set up and cycled. So what do you guys/gals suggest as to what fish I should put in.

I want to 2 schools of fish

I have a 40 gallon which I want to start up soon but the only thing holding me back is that my mom won't let me set it up. I'm still trying to convince her. I've been thinking about fish I want to put in it after I have it set up and cycled. So what do you guys/gals suggest as to what fish I should put in. I want to 2 schools of fish
always loved barbs and rasboras

If you're going to do shoaling fish why not be different??? You could go with Celestrial Danios say 10-12 and Cherry Barbs 1/2 normal-1/2 albino. You could also consider Penguin Tetras and maybe some Glowight tetras or Gold Barbs.

You are still going to have two unoccupied zones, surface and bottom. On the top you could go with a couple of female bettas or a pair or two of pigmy gouramis like Licorice Gouramis. You could also go with a few Endlers Livebearers, all males would really add to the color. On the bottom a group of Khuli loaches or cory cats would look nice. You could get some java moss and add Red Cherry Shrimp. The fish will eat most the shrimplets, but they are cool to watch.

If you're going to do shoaling fish why not be different??? You could go with Celestrial Danios say 10-12 and Cherry Barbs 1/2 normal-1/2 albino. You could also consider Penguin Tetras and maybe some Glowight tetras or Gold Barbs. You are still going to have two unoccupied zones, surface and bottom. On the top you could go with a couple of female bettas or a pair or two of pigmy gouramis like Licorice Gouramis. You could also go with a few Endlers Livebearers, all males would really add to the color. On the bottom a group of Khuli loaches or cory cats would look nice. You could get some java moss and add Red Cherry Shrimp. The fish will eat most the shrimplets, but they are cool to watch.

Personally I would not stock CPDs with Cherry Barbs. They are very Shy. It's good to have dither fish, but Id use something that won't bully them.
I use Threadfin Rainbows. But mine are in small tanks.

RCS adults may also be killed off if you stock. Barbs or the more predatory Tetras.

I tend to do all Nano fish n Shrimp or do regular community stuff.

But a 40g does give a LOT of options and you can get away with stuff that won't work in smaller tanks.

Have you looked at Odessa Barbs? How about Congo tetras? Lots of schooling fish you can look at, but more importantly, if you are buying them locally, what is available in stores?

Thank you all for you advices :)
I'm thinking about having hatchet fish on top 2 angles a school of zebra danios and harlequin rasboras with and albino bn pleco and a school of albino cories

That sounds good I would only get 1 angel though why not a stock of

1- Angelfish
1- Albino BN Pleco
6- Albino Cory's
6- Hatchet Fish
8- Rasbora

That sounds good I would only get 1 angel though why not a stock of 1- Angelfish 1- Albino BN Pleco 6- Albino Cory's 6- Hatchet Fish 8- Rasbora
+1 I agree with only one angel. In my 36g I have had one angel for years and she is very happy, but I have not had luck with adding other angels.
I also think this stock list sounds very balanced and peaceful yet entertaining to watch :)

Aww :( I wanted 2 angels. What if I get 2 young ones so they pair?
What if I add 8 zebra danios?

I like the stock! I can't wait to set everything up. I will probably start the beginning of next year

Just because you get two doesn't mean one will be male and one will be female (and it's nearly impossible to sex them) and even if you do get 1m1f, that doesn't mean they will choose to pair. The only way to do that is to buy a large group if babies (6 or more) and raise them together until they pair off by their own choosing- it's kinda like humans ;) it is possible to buy a pair, but that is quite expensive and means that if they spawn they will most likely show aggression towards other tank mates because they are very protective parents.

Oops I didn't know that. Okay 1 angelfish it is!:)
I like the marble veil angelfish:)

Aww :( I wanted 2 angels. What if I get 2 young ones so they pair? What if I add 8 zebra danios? I like the stock! I can't wait to set everything up. I will probably start the beginning of next year

Zebra Danios are very busy fast fish. They might out compete and disturb a peaceful tank.

Angels are a slow paced fish. You might consider a more calm group to add. Still will add movement without being annoying.

How about some black skirt tetras?
Also what will be the best hatchet fish to use? I kinda like the marble ones

Okay thank you all so much for all your advices:)

Which are the best hatchetfish and angelfish?

Most angelfish sold in stores are all the same species I believe. The only other I'm aware if is the Altum angelfish which are not commonly sold in stores because they are harder to care for. It's really just your preference on coloration :) my angel is the classic silver, but I personally love the look of koi and blushing angels.

IMO I think the pure black angelfish look the best i love their jet black color. The common hatchet species sold marbled and silver hatchets really are the same exact fish as far as food and care level goes. As far as the fish go just pick the ones you like the best!

Marbled hatchet fish are my favorite and platinum angels are very cool but I have a golden marbled angel and I love the coloration! Really just personal preference, also phillipine blues are also really cool angels.

The black ones are cool!! I like those and the marble angelfish!
I recently read that the marble hatchet have a short live span

Back
Top Bottom