Strange behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
This morning I watched something I had not seen before. Two SAEs engaging in a “dance” where they positioned themselves head to tail and nipped on the backs of each other while they spun in a violent circle around each other. Then they would stop and and align themselves head to head, bodies parallel to each other and fight to nip at the top of each other behind the head but in front of the dorsal fin. While this was all going on, the black stripe that runs down their sides was all but gone! Faded to almost nonexistence.

This all went on for nearly 10 minutes over the exact piece of rock on the bottom of the tank

Everything I read says that these fish have never been known to breed in captivity, so is this just a territorial dispute? The third SAE kept it’s distance way on the other end of the tank, but usually they are all three inseparable.

Thoughts?

yep. its a fight for dominance. should be settled soon.
fairly common.

I agree with that rw...lol. My sister and I had a beauty at my brother's birthday party a few years ago...:))

Back
Top Bottom