Strange ghosting stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jedihunter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all! tonite i turned off all my pumps and powerheads for rutine maintenance,
when i looked at the tank with the lights on, i can see a weird stuff coming out from a brain skeleton.(as its disolving)

what could it be that?
i tried to take a pic but simply it wont appear in it

Could it be dissolving? could it be leaking dangerous things?

another strange thing is that some feather worms have their feathers as if they were rolling them towards their mouth.

Any ideas?
Should i be worried? I tested everything but nothing strange in Water Params.
Thanks in Advance

JH

The only thing I could suggest is that it has a worm or other burrowing animal that is "stirring things up". Peanut worms are quite common for this.

Cheers
Steve

Steve Thanks for your response!

Since i cant post a picture because the camera doesnt photo the effect.

Imagine the brain skeleton smoking; the ghosting substance looks like smoke but once i turned on the pumps and power heads it simply dissolved
dont know if its harmfull but only side effect is some feather worms are rolling their feathers towards the mouth.

JH

You say you turned you power heads off, are all your pumps in tank or do you have a sump? If you have a sump then you might be getting "gunk" that has built up in your tubing that came loose when you turned your pump back on and now your filter feeders or feeding on the same gunk. The gunk in my tank is white flaky looking stuff. If that’s the case then I wouldn’t be concerned.
HTH

Nevermind, after reading again I see that my theory doesnt apply at all.

Sounds like Ctenophores to me. I'll see if I can find the pic for you to compare..

Thanks Atari! but is not like that.

Anyone here smoke? when you put the cigarette in the ashtray a low smoke flow emanates and forms weird structures on the air
imagine it under saltwater. (not when you drop some fresh water) imagine some kind of smoke going out a brain skeleton then power heads on again and swoooshhh disolving
it was white as a reflection in glass, but when it disolved it went away
:?: :?: :?: 8O

Thanks Atari! but is not like that.

Anyone here smoke? when you put the cigarette in the ashtray a low smoke flow emanates and forms weird structures on the air
imagine it under saltwater. (not when you drop some fresh water) imagine some kind of smoke going out a brain skeleton then power heads on again and swoooshhh disolving
it was white as a reflection in glass, but when it disolved it went away
:?: :?: :?: 8O

Jedihunter, that's exactly what this stuff looks like... when I first saw it I thought my coral had smoke coming out of it too.. you just need to look real close to see the actual structure of it. It doesn't actually dissolve, the creature retracts the filaments back in very quickly.

If it's really not that then I have no idea what it could be.

Since my first post didnt apply I thought I would do a little reading on the subject. It sounds like its releasing sperm/eggs and it simply isnt visible with the power heads on. This would explain why your dusters are feeding.

I just did alot of reading on brain coral reproduction and cant find any pictures of corals that are reproducing sexually.

Just a thought :D

Sperm Release sounds coherent, but im worried what is reproducing inside the Skeleton to have that kind of polutions :LOL:

I shall wait and see if everything is fine for the next days

Thanks all for the info and suggestions!

I will try to reproduce the efect soon and instead of using the DIGICAM will go with my old and faithful 35mm.

so i hope the ghost mistery solves soon ! :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom