Strange substance in the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardh

Aquarium Advice Freak
My freshwater tropical tank is now a week old and has had fish in it, 5 red eye tetras, for 4-days. I've noticed today a strange almost clear substance, almost like someone has sneezed, clinging around the large fake rock I have in there. Any ideas what it could be?

I've tested the water and zero ammonia, nitrites or nitrates so far. Help!

Can you post a pic? It could be a lot of things. Are you overfeeding? Do you vacuum the substrate? It could be old food that has gotten moldy but without a picture I can't say for certain.

Also keep an eye on your water and be ready to start doing water changes once the ammonia starts to rise. There's a link in my signature: new tank with fish that'll help.

See pics attached. On both, the substance is clinging to the bottom of the hole in the centre. It's almost like a cobweb gently blowing in the current.

I've not hoovered the substrate yet as fish have only been in their 4 days. I doubt I am overfeeding (1 per day) and make sure they eat it all and remove any excess straight away. I will certainly keep an eye on the water quality. Thanks for the link.

Attachments

• image-1862262696.jpg
    image-1862262696.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1711410226.jpg
    image-1711410226.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 65
richardh said:
See pics attached. On both, the substance is clinging to the bottom of the hole in the centre. It's almost like a cobweb gently blowing in the current.

I've not hoovered the substrate yet as fish have only been in their 4 days. I doubt I am overfeeding (1 per day) and make sure they eat it all and remove any excess straight away. I will certainly keep an eye on the water quality. Thanks for the link.

It is actually a type of bacteria. I'm extremely sure, I have had this (and still do) in my 10 gal nurserey, but strangely never had it in my 40. It has never harmed any of my fish

Bacteria, hmmm. Hope it is the good kind! I will monitor the water quality as a matter of course anyway, since it's a new tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom