Strange swordtail behavior...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okapizebra

Aquarium Advice Addict
So one of my male swordtails seems to be flapping and is leaning slightly to his side. He's not swimming around, just flapping there in the top corner of the tank. I assume this could be swim bladder disease?

Unfortunetly I only have test strips, no liquid test set, but it says my parameters are "normal" if that means anything. I just did a 10% water change yesterday, and I read somewhere that it could cause swim bladder disease. His feeding diet is no different than normal. I feed flakes, those "crisps" things, freeze-dried bloodworms, microcrabs. Mainly flakes, but every few days or so they will receive one of those other varieties. I'm not sure if that could be the cause for it. He did have bloodworms yesterday, could be a possible cause.

My tank is a 29 gallon. I hope I have provided enough information. Thank you for reading, and please drop me a bit of advice if you can. Thank you.

Oh, and I do not have a tank to quarantine him in... so I'm hoping it isn't any sort of infection. I do have a bottle of melafix and some of those antifungal tablets, if necessary. I'd have to dose the whole tank, though, and I do have plants.

Anyone? He seems to be in exactly the same condition today, and no one else is showing any signs of it.

Hi! Im hoping someone who knows about swordtails chimes in here because i have no personal experience with them/their behavior. First, you really should look into getting yourself an API fw test kit. Strips are inaccurate at best & what they deem as 'normal' or 'safe' generally is not! Swim bladder issues are not caused by water changes-the lack of water changes & poor water quality is usually to blame. Do you have other fish? How many? Is your tank cycled? What are the readings (numbers) for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph that you are getting from your test strips? Is your sick fish eating at all? The more information you can provide, the better we will be able to help!

Yes, I know, it's on my christmas list. I know the strips are not accurate. What I meant by the water changes is that when I put in the clean water, I realized the water was quite a few degrees off and I read somewhere this could cause the disease in fish. My tank is cycled, been up and running for around 10 months now. My total stock:
6 swordtails
1 platy
2 black neons
2 rosy tetras
3 long-finned zebra danios
2 cories
1 golden dojo loach
No numbers, just in the "safe zone" Yes, he is eating.

Someone else will have to help out here in respect to what you are stocking (im a goldfish person myself) and if its appropriate for your size tank. In respect to water changes, you should always make sure you are using water conditioner (dose to the size of your tank not the amount your changing) and ,yes, you should try to match the temp of your tank water to that of the new water so you dont shock your fish. Obviously, a thermometer is the most accurate route to use but testing a bowl of tank water with your hand & matching the temp to your tap will work as well. I would suggest another pwc (25-30%) and see how your guy does with it. Alot of people (myself included) do weekly pwcs of 50%. Healthy water may be all he needs right now!

I know my stock is perfectly fine with my tank, it's had basically this exact stock since well... I stocked it. I always keep up with my water changes and keep good quality water. I always dose the entire volume of my tank water. I was a bit careless with the temp changes, not thinking it was a big deal. I have to fill up each individual gallon so I get a little impatient sometimes. I'm definitely thinking this could be the issue. Thank you for your advice.

Well, he seems to be doing better. Much less flapping around and sideways swimming. He is still hiding a bit and isn't 100% better. He still eats normally. I'm going to clean the tank today and do a water change and hope he will be all better soon. Thank you!

Glad to hear he's better. You could fast all of your fish for a day or two and then on the 2nd or 3rd day feed a thawed, deshelled, unsalted frozen pea. I fast my fish one day per week and feed them a pea one day per week also. It can help with digestion and constipation and to prevent swim bladder issues. Good luck!

I do fast my fish once a week in order to prevent the disease. I really do think it was from the stress of the water change. I have definitely learned my lesson about that!

Back
Top Bottom