Strange tank deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swampman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to know if any of our fellow fish heads have this problem. You added new fish to the tank. They were small but not so anyone could eat them. You see them for a month or so. Than you noticed one missing. Than another. All the other fish you put in look fine. After a week, no nw fish. Not a body is seen. Check water. That is good. All the other fish can be seen. Now, I think it maybe the other fish are bullying them. I never saw that. Has anyone have this strange deaths? One more thing. They were bought from fish hobbies at swap meets.

I've had fish totally vanished more than once especially when I had voracious eaters like African cichlids. Couple of times I found a perfectly cleaned skeleton. In my case they have all been the same size, they just got devoured by the other fish. Can you tell us what fish you are talking about?

the 40 gal. I had four 2 inch angel fish. I had them for about 3 months all together. Than within 2 weeks down to two. The tank mates are 5 plates and 3 bus.rainbowfish. I also had 4 very small panda corys vanish as well as Bristol nose plecos. The other tank is 20 gal. I lost 2 black corys and 2 of four super red BNP. Tank mates are 3 guppies 3 female swords 2 BNP. I don't understand. The water is changed 7-10days. I feed them frozen and flake food as well as pellets for the bottom fish. All tanks are fully planted and have been up for at least 2-3 years. Thank for answering.

Do you notice them missing from one day to the next and have you noticed heavy bullying going on? Unless your cat is getting to them, I'm thinking once bullied and killed, the bristle nose plecos do most of the clean-up. Sometimes fish jump out of the tank as well.

No cats only dogs. I did notice that some of the angels would move to the other side of the tank. I should have realized that it could be bullies in the tank. Maybe the small fish I put in the tank are too small for the fish already in the tank. Thus bulling. I believe I need to rethink the tank mates that I put in the tank. Or have one tank for smaller fish to grow to a size that won't ne bullied. Thank so much

Back
Top Bottom